We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding on Big Island

Phoenix, Arizona
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wedding on Big Island

Hello, my fiance and i are planning on getting married on the Big Island this Feb. 14. We have had horrible luck with getting a permit for a state beach, as they want you to write a letter with your intent for the wedding, and all details, but they also then wrote back and wanted a map of the beach with the exact location of the wedding. We have never been there before, so how do we know? We are going through a small wedding company, and he has suggested Kaloko-Honokohau beach near the structure for the canoes. We would like to have a more formal wedding, meaning chairs and people sitting, not everyone standing around with their hands in their pockets. We also would like to have a flower ring and petals on the ground at least, since we are not allowed an arch. Does anyone know of a nice place or beach where we can get married and it will be a little more formal but not be too expensive? we are staying at Hilton Waikaloa, and they charge 2 grand just to use the grounds for a wedding, and 3300 for them to perform a bare bones wedding. I have found this to be similar pricing at all other hotels/resorts i have looked at. Any ideas? I have thought of the private condo option, but we do already have a hotel for 5 nights.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding on Big Island

Sounds like you need a more knowledgeable wedding company!

Kaloko-Honokohau is a cultural and historical national park and is not appropriate for Western-style sit-down weddings.

The best approach to weddings on this island is almost always to find a vacation rental that would be a beautiful site and that will allow a gathering of that type, and then have as many of your wedding party/guests stay there as rooms will allow. There are a number of oceanfront vacation rentals on the Kona-Kohala coast that are frequently used for this purpose.

Once you've got the house booked, then you can rent everything you need: chairs, tables, etc. - and arrange for a local caterer to do the food for the reception and a florist for the flowers. A trip to Costco takes care of your reception bar, and you're set!

There is a list of approved wedding officiants on a Hawaii State government site.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,770 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding on Big Island

Great advice.

I can see your point of view about the beach, but perhaps consider that the beach is public and for many residents it is like their back yard. It is really annoying for people to have the beach blocked up by sit down weddings, or would be, and arches. We donʻt have that much beach to go around, and so many people want a beach wedding in Hawaiʻi. I think the restrictions are very reasonable.

Unless you prepaid, you should be able to cancel the Hilton if need be.

The problem I see is that you want to get married on Valentineʻs Day in Hawaiʻi, a month from now, and have no caterer or any other service booked, sounds like. Youʻre competing with all the weddings, vow renewals, anniversaries, most planned a year ago. Hard to imagine any good caterer is not already booked for that date.

I have a feeling that the most used oceanfront homes will also be booked, but you can look and see.

Phoenix, Arizona
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding on Big Island

Thank you for your response. I'm going to check into a vacation rental. I think that would be the best option also.

Guam, Mariana...
Level Contributor
7 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding on Big Island

My husband and I got married in February of last year and we arranged a very simple wedding at Kukio beach. Our wedding officiant was very knowledgeable and very efficient. If you want her contact details, message me please. However, we had a very simple wedding with close family in attendance and did a very short ceremony. No chairs on the beach. I agree with the two comments above to get a vacation rental and have the freedom to do your own thing. We witnessed that kind of wedding set up when we went back there in November and stayed in a unit at Mauna Lani resort where guests and owners have access to Mauna Lani beach club.

Guam, Mariana...
Level Contributor
7 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding on Big Island

To add to my comment, I am sure the other resorts in the Kohala Coast have some type of their own beach club. So, you'll have plenty of choice....

California
Level Contributor
6,467 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding on Big Island

Interesting about the Hilton, I've seen many weddings at the small ocean side chapel and have always wondered how much they charge. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Auburn, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding on Big Island

just curious the company you used?

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding on Big Island

We've read your comments and we also plan to have our simple wedding on the Big Island. Would you mind sharing the name of who you recommend as an officiant? We would be greatly appreciated. We would only have four others attending and we prefer a beachside wedding.

thank you so much for sharing!

US
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding on Big Island

I can recommend http://www.bigislandceremonies.com and Rev Stefan. They do an amazing job and are very affordable. The do weddings on Maui and the Big Island...

Hilo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
33 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding on Big Island

You might be interested in www.myhawaiiislandwedding.com They make all the arrangements on your behalf, include photography and a shell blower, even music.