We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible Big Island trip.

Rogers, Arkansas
1 post
Save Topic
Possible Big Island trip.

My mom and I have visited the other Hawaiian islands but haven't visited the Big Island. My mom is limited for walking so we will rent a wheelchair which works great. We enjoy shopping, (especially hand crafted jewelry and other items), dinner crusie, fun places to eat and "dine" with local entertainment, luau, beautiful gardens, and farmers' markets to name a few. We like to travel the week of Labor Day for a total of (2) weeks. We would like to rent a vehicle and stay in a (2) bedroom (2) bath ocean front condo on the Leeward side of the island. We have had adventures in sailboats, ATV, South Pacific musical, submarine and open door helicopter tours. I have gone kayaking on a river, hiked through a couple of rain forests and a (7) line zip line adventure. We have decided we do not want to do a helicopter tour on the Big Island but the rest is open. If anyone has any suggestions for us we would appreciate it. Mahalo!

LA
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible Big Island trip.

What is your nightly accomodation budget?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,297 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible Big Island trip.

I would consider spending a few days or minimum one night on the Hilo side - one of the best farmers markets on the island is located there and a beautiful botanical garden. You could also explore some of Volcano national park. :)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible Big Island trip.

Hi, the Big Island is great but much bigger, and with your time and in summer I would stay some on the east side too, as coalminer suggested.

There is a Top Question in Island of Hawaii forum where people have talked of their favorite activities here. The question was created for people like yourself trying to figure out what to do.

I would suggest you start with reading some more on the island, to see what there is. As you know, every island is different. The nicer condos here in better location are not oceanfront; the oceanfront property in the better area is too expensive for condos and is for the hotels and luxury villas, but it is a short drive to the beach.

You can stay in an older condo in Kailua-Kona, that is oceanfront, but wonʻt be near the beach and you may or may not like it.

Please read the Top Questions on picking lodgings to get a sense of what the areas offer. TQ on Kona, Kohala, and Hilo/Volcano are there to help you out.

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible Big Island trip.

Not all oceanfront condos are older ones in Kailua-Kona. There are some newer ones at Hali'i Kai in Waikoloa Beach Resort.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,131 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible Big Island trip.

Boulders - Waikoloa Beach Resort is on the S. Kohala Coast, not in Kailua Kona.

Agree though with your suggestion for Hali'i Kai which is often recommended here on the forum, and is a favourite of Wanderlust-for-2 who is a frequent poster here.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,716 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible Big Island trip.

All of the condos at Waikoloa Beach resort are newish (although not near Kailua Kona) plus there's an actual beach and ocean access there as well. Hali'i Kai is my favorite complex in the resort.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible Big Island trip.

I forgot about Hali'i Kai, thanks guys!

I often forget in part because although the complex is Oceanfront, and the clubhouse, most of the units are not oceanfront (and I understand the cost for a true OF unit would be at a premium).

Still a great option.

Kolea is another option.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,716 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible Big Island trip.

I also consider both the Mauna Lani Point and the Terrace to be oceanfront although they're not hanging over the ocean like the older complexes in Kailua Kona built before more environmental awareness and setback and shoreline access laws, there's nothing between them and the ocean. The Point and Halii Kai are both more like cliffside oceanfront.

9. Re: Possible Big Island trip.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 05:19