We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Preferred Rental Car Company at KOA?

Northern California
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Preferred Rental Car Company at KOA?

I am currently holding two rental car reservations for our trip in May from Discount Hawaii Car Rental---one from Alamo and one from Enterprise. Does anyone have an opinion as to a preferred car rental company at the Kona airport location or are they essentially all the same? If there is no company with a better customer service/product at KOA, then I would just keep the reservation with the lowest price. Thanks for opinions.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Preferred Rental Car Company at KOA?

Normally, I would say .....all the Majors are equal at KOA. However, I have no experience with Enterprise at that location as it is fairly new to the scene in the last couple of years. I was told their hours of operation may not be as flexible as the other companies.

We travel to KOA frequently and are often met with Airline delays and late evening arrivals. The Majors like Alamo, Avis, Budget, Hertz , National etc all stay open until the last flight arrives...no matter what the time. I have witnessed a 0330 hr arrival for example.

You could check with Enterprise locally (808 #) to inquire as to their practice.

Strathmore...
Level Contributor
50 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Preferred Rental Car Company at KOA?

I must say that, in the past, I normally focus on the best rate, as I have found most of the companies to be similar. I returned from the BI this morning, after spending two glorious weeks there. I rented a vehicle from Thrifty, and am not sure I will do it again (even if they have the lowest price!). Upon arriving to pick up our vehicle on Feb 7th (1PM), I was met with a waiting line which extended outside their office. Over two hours to get to an agent! Then had to deal with some serious attitude, especially when not going for the "upgrades". Then to get in the car to find it only had a quarter of a tank of gas (resulting in another delay).....sorry for the rant, just not used to this kind of (dis) service from rental companies.....

Level Contributor
203 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Preferred Rental Car Company at KOA?

I prefer Alamo over Thirfty, Budget and Avis. I've always gotten my cars sooner from them and no problems at the counter.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
647 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Preferred Rental Car Company at KOA?

We rented a full size car from Enterprise (airport location) through Hawaii Discount Car Rental last fall. Service was efficient and friendly, however...

The Enterprise rep took notes about any scratches on the car so we wouldn't be charged. It was definitely their way of saying, you scratch it and you'll pay! We decided to charge the rental on our American Express because for a $25 fee there would be no deductible for any damages. All turned out fine.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,431 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Preferred Rental Car Company at KOA?

I've used both companies while vacationing in Hawaii. I prefer Alamo, because they take you out to the cars, and let you pick which car you want from your category. The walk out to the car is wonderful, especially when you are arriving in the dark. Trying to find the painted number on a parking spot when you are tired from a long flight is never fun.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Preferred Rental Car Company at KOA?

Alamo provides wonderful service at KOA, as JOan123 mentions above.. I have always been more than satisfied with the vehicles We had a speciific request one time for a particular model, as we were car shopping back home, and the agent went out of his way to comply.

As for an agent marking pre-existing scratches etc on the contract prior to you leaving the lot....that can be interpreted a couple of ways.....For me, I'm happy if they do that, because then it is definitely not on me. I do a thorough inspect under a light standard if in darkness before leaving the lot. I do not hesitate to have them note any preexisting scratch etc...no matter how minor.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
181 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Preferred Rental Car Company at KOA?

Yikes, the only difference for us over the past twenty years is price. The cost of car rentals recently has been excessive. Both the local taxes and rental rates have increased too much.

Currently almost 70% of the rental cost is taxes and "fees".

I used to be able to get a compact from Priceline or Hotwire

for $10 a day. The total came out to maybe $14 a day.

I'm checking the rates for an intermediate at KOA right now. They are dropping sharply as you get closer to departure.

For example, Hotwire was $45 a day the past several weeks and now it's $15.95 a day plus about $11 in taxes and fees.

There's another option called Auto-Slash. This service will allow you to hedge you bets. They got me a reservation at Avis for $27.95 a day total cost two months ago.

Today I received an email from them saying that the prices

have dropped at KOA and they can save me $45 at Dollar.

This is like having a neat hedge on rental rates, because their reservations can be canceled.

BTW, it helps to belong to all the major car rental programs, and now it's free to do so. This insures faster and better service, and many times upgrades. There's a hidden upgrade that's called Kama'aina.

It is always a good practice to "walk" the rental car with the

attendant before driving off. You never know who last drove the car and sometimes they miss body damage. The rental car folks do make big profits on repairs.

I hope that this information is helpful.

EDM
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Preferred Rental Car Company at KOA?

I rented from Enterprise for the month of Feb. and the service was excellent. Got a good rate on a full size SUV as we had a large group,reserved more than 6 months in advance. Greeted as soon as I entered,taken out to lot and had my choice of vehicle to pick. The inspection was done and I took it a step further by using my cell phone to take a video of selected vehicle. Part of our group left mid Feb. so exchanged for a smaller vehicle,not a issue of any kind. Paid exactly what I was quoted and really can not say enough about how well we were treated,will use them again and highly recommend them.

bc Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Preferred Rental Car Company at KOA?

I had similar bad service from Thrifty, not having the size of car so misrepresenting the car sizes. Ford Fusion was their fix for not having a full size car !! I have brought this to the attention to customer service but so far they are going by the fact the Fusion is a full size car. I originally booked a full size as we have three full sized luggages but they could not fit inside the Fusion's trunk ! what a hassle !

3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Preferred Rental Car Company at KOA?

If you are a Costco member, you may want to look at their rates.