We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outrigger turtle hotel gone??????????

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
Outrigger turtle hotel gone??????????

About 4 years ago we stayed in an Ohana Outrigger hotel that extended over the water with a wonderful view of the big turtles climbing on the rocks right from our room. There was also a big black rock area next to the hotel where weddings took place. To the other side you could access a quick path to the beach with snorkeling from shore. It appears that this hotel is closed and gone but what would you recommend near that same beach with the turtles and snorkeling in the Kona area?

Otherwise, where would you recommend on the ocean on the Big Island after spending two days in Volcano area?

Thanks for a quick reply.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,630 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outrigger turtle hotel gone??????????

That was the Keauhou Beach Resort and yes it is now closed unfortunatly.

The big black rock area is called a Heiau and is a Hawaiin temple, place of worship.

I don't think there are any other resorts really close to there.

What sort of price range are you looking for?

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outrigger turtle hotel gone??????????

Was the hotel torn down or just closed? What a shame since the area was so lovely and we saw weddings from our room. Is it possible to go to that beach next to the hotel to see the turtles and snorkel?

This is for my nephew and his fiance for their honeymoon in early May. They are looking at the Courtyard at $159. So far the plan is for them to spend 6 days in Maui at a time share in Kihei, 2 days in Volcano at a B & B, 4 days in the beach area where this hotel was located, and finally end with 2 days in Waikiki. We really hoped for them to have the same great experience at the Keauhou Beach Resort as we did a few years ago. We loved the music at night, the proximity to a swimmable beach, the old Hawaiian atmosphere. What do you suggest?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outrigger turtle hotel gone??????????

The hotel was closed and slated for demolition by the land owner, which is IIRC Kamehameha Schools. The property was bleeding money for years and the site has great cultural importance that they plan to restore (but these things take years). Regardless, it is history now, sorry!

Kahalu'u is a County Beach Park and is open same as it ever was, although overuse has heavily impacted the reef there and many including Snorkel Bob's are asking people to give it a rest.

You are not going to find another oceanfront hotel at the price point of the Courtyard. Maybe the Sheraton a Keauhou, but compare the fees. The Sheraton has a $31 a night mandatory resort fee. It is closer to Kahalu'u and I believe the hotel runs a guest shuttle to that park, but you would need to confirm it is still operating.

I'd say those are your two options for a decent place on the ocean at that price.

Personally I would look at the Hapuna Prince and look for a deal there.

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outrigger turtle hotel gone??????????

Thanks so much for the info. I think the Kona area has a younger livelier vibe than further north near Waikaloa, which we found more sterile. I am passing this info along and suspect that they will choose the Courtyard. Any recommendations for other beaches or snorkel spots? for restaurants? for activities that would appeal to a couple in late 20s on their honeymoon?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outrigger turtle hotel gone??????????

Well, I think Kailua Kona has as many or more older people as up north. Hapuna is not in Waikoloa, and it is a great lively beach and the hotel is far more romantic than the Courtyard, which is a redo of a very old hotel, but whatever you think best.

I canʻt really suggest anything for beaches or snorkeling near there, sorry! There are many paid activities, but they will cost up to $200 a pop, and it sounds like theyʻre on a bit more of a budget.

Iʻll let someone else suggest their favorites, only because I canʻt think of anything inspiring. For a special occasion, I would suggest the Beach Tree at the Four Seasons, which is more affordable than you might think and has a great vibe.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outrigger turtle hotel gone??????????

Do they already have their flights? If not , I would highly suggest cutting out the two days in Waikiki and adding it to the Big Island instead. I think that is too much moving around, and I would limit it to two islands tops. Plus 6 days is too short for most people for the Big Island as there is so much to see and sights are more spread out and require more driving. (As I'm sure you already know/ have experienced).

They will get the more livelier atmosphere in Maui, and the Big Island would be more the quiet/ relaxing part of the trip any ways. I went to Big Island for my honeymoon almost 4 yrs ago when I was in my late twenties and stayed on the Kohala Coast, it is very quiet, but also very romantic and I think perfect for a honeymoon, because you are mostly out and about during the day and too tired to go out at night any ways. We are not really big partiers though so they may be looking for a different vibe (in which case I'd question visiting the Big Island any ways if they wanted lots of nightlife), but I think I'd suggest that they read the top questions to the right of the page about Kohala Coast and Kona and then decide for themselves which hotel or area they want to stay in.

I'm also traveling in May and looking forward to checking out the Lava Lava Beach Club in the Waikoloa Beach Resort area for happy hour one or more nights, it looks like a good livelier vibe for younger people (haven't been there yet though but it looks like fun if they were staying closer to there).

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outrigger turtle hotel gone??????????

I agree and advised them NOT to go to Waikiki but they have a friend who lives there, want to visit Pearl Harbor, and prefer to have a taste of Waikiki. With the types of jobs that will not normally allow them two full weeks of vacation back to back, they want a bigger taste. Ultimately each person has to find their own travel style.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,711 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Outrigger turtle hotel gone??????????

I think Kailua Kona is actually quite a bit older, retiree vibe except for the surfers. The Kohala Coast demographics tend to be more young families and honeymooners. I agree that I'd look at the Hapuna Prince. You'll have much better and more snorkeling and beaches within a short radius than staying at the Courtyard. The Mauna Lani has the best snorkeling in the state overall and is very romantic, plus has a historic preserve and a cultural center and is much more Hawaiiana than Kailua Kona, although it certainly isn't "lively". There's a TQ that covers snorkeling and beaches.

Edited: 22 March 2014, 04:22
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Outrigger turtle hotel gone??????????

Mauna Lani is super popular with honeymooners, but ... it costs more and even more for a real ocean view, unless you luck into a free upgrade. I suggested the Prince because an ocean view is affordable. It doesnʻt have an older vibe at all.

This island doesnʻt have much night life. I was in Kailua-Kona two weeks ago at Royal Kona Resort, and was shocked to find out Don the Beachcomberʻs bar closes at 11 PM on a Friday night.

Where I grew up, all bars stayed open as late as they legal could, which was 2 AM, and this is one of the more popular bars in Kailua Kona. The restaurant part closed at 9 I think.

I guess itʻs fine for people from the East Coast, as 11 PM feels like 5 AM to the body clock, but to me 11 PM is early. The honeymooners may find they are not up for much night life here. If you read the trip reports, people seem to do so much during the day that they fall into bed at 9 PM.

10. Re: Outrigger turtle hotel gone??????????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 04:51