We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at King Kam - recs on eats please!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
62 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at King Kam - recs on eats please!

Hi! We're staying at King Kam Courtyard for three days before checking into Four Seasons for a corporate trip. We'll have a car while at King Kam, but also just enjoy exploring on foot! Where should we absolutely have breakfast/lunch/dinner while staying there? (Once we check into the FS, our days will be planned for us.) Also, what else are "must-do's" close to King Kam by way of beaches/shopping? Thanks in advance!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
1,070 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at King Kam - recs on eats please!

Dinner at Jackie Rey's Ohana Grill is outstanding!

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at King Kam - recs on eats please!

There is an art gallery in the lobby that also has a crepe stand that looks really delish.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at King Kam - recs on eats please!

I'd recommend lunch at Don the Beachcomber at the Royal Kona Resort. It's a great ocean view, and the mai tais are delicious.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at King Kam - recs on eats please!

Well.....good chance it is Courtyard by Marriott first...followed by the 4S Hualalai....vs the other way around....

While you are out and about at the onset of the trip...checkout the Captain Cook area. We enjoy the Pizza at Patz Pies @ Papparoni's for a delicious NY style treat . Salads are also great....informal setting.., perfect for takeout.

The Ali'i Dr walk about is what it is...different to many. For me , it is over in about a half hour...

Some folks are more intrigued and return year after year.

South Kohala on the Big Island holds the most appeal IMO...with it's clear blue skies, little rain, and close,proximity to the Island's best beaches.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,688 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at King Kam - recs on eats please!

I'm all meh on Kailua Kona restaurants and the town itself but I do recommend the Hulihee palace and Ahuena heiau close by. Quinn's, Rapa Nui, and Original Thai all easy walking distance from the Courtyard and are decent eats, and Holuakoa Gardens up the mountain about 20 minutes drive is very good. One day I would drive down south to Pu'uhonua O Honaunau historical park. Annie's is a good spot for lunch down south.

The Four Seasons has much better food, weather and beach areas and hopefully while there you'll have a day free to go up north to the Kohala Coast for beaches, swimming and snorkeling. If not, I recommend you do that on one of your days at the Courtyard even thought it's about an hour drive each way.

on the road to...
Level Contributor
554 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at King Kam - recs on eats please!

Orchid Thai just around the corner at Kaiwi St & Kuakini Hwy was delicious!

Rapi Nui was quite tasty.

We ended up having a quick bite for breakfast in the lobby coffee shop once and it was quite good.

Kona Brewing was also pretty good . We walked & were able to cut through the parking lot of the shopping center at Palani & Kuakini, though I have a vague memory of hearing that's been fenced off? If so, It's a very short drive (the walk around on the road would be quite a bit longer.)

We didn't have a meal, but the open air bar at Don the Beachcomber was good for sunset drinks (I recommend the Plantation Mai Tai. The "original Don's Mai Tai" isn't.)

We also ended up at Sam Choy's Kai Lanai a couple times (short drive toward Keauhou.) Nice view (albeit overlooking the Long's.) Skip the Mai Tai; the Tropical Itch was good.

Definitely visit Pu'uhonua o honaunau at some point; it's an easy drive from Kailua-Kona.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
168 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at King Kam - recs on eats please!

Lots of dinning options in Kailua Kona. Most are really no better or worse than other options around the island. There are a handful of better restaurants scattered around the island but you'll easily exhaust those in a week of eating out. The BI is not exactly the culinary capital of HI, but you will find some adequate eats around town, depending on your interests. Jackie Rey's is certainly a good option. Holuakoa Gardens is really testing my patience lately. Fishhopper will get the job done if you just want to walk some where close to the King Kam. Kona Brewery is also a short walk and is mostly brewpub food. Most of the Thai (and there are many) is identical, I can't tell the difference between any of them. There are a number of places to get happy hour drinks and pupus while catching sunset if you are into that sort of thing.

Edited: 21 May 2014, 08:19
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,688 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at King Kam - recs on eats please!

"Most are really no better or worse than other options around the island."

I'll disagree with that, I think overall dining in Kailua Kona is poor to mediocre and overpriced whereas I think there are far more options in North Kona and South Kohala that range from some of the best in the state to very good to solid and are a better overall value.

9. Re: Staying at King Kam - recs on eats please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 June 2014, 11:51
Edited: 18 June 2014, 11:51
Hawaii
Level Contributor
168 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying at King Kam - recs on eats please!

"I'll disagree with that, I think overall dining in Kailua Kona is poor to mediocre and overpriced......"

Feel free.....I can't think of much that excites me on this island with about 3 or 4 exceptions. When I want fine dinning, I get off the rock. Overall the choices on the east side are pretty bad. West side is slightly better. Almost all of Kohala is mediocre for top dollar, although I am heading there tonight to one of my favs. Resort fare in Waikoloa ? No, thanks ! I do like the two options in North Kona that are relentless pushed here, although lately they haven't been consistent and one experience at the better restaurant was miserable. Overall Kona dinning is much more reasonable then Kohala and the fare is consistent with the rest of the island.