We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manta Ray Night Snorkel

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
denver city, tx
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Manta Ray Night Snorkel

Quick info before ?... Family of 5 ( kids 13,9, 7) and we will be on island July24- Aug20.

We really want to do a night snorkel with the manta rays; but as I think we are going to have to do it 2 separate nights. Our youngest is autistic and loves the water, swimming and animals, but I think there are just too many variables to risk taking him. My question is; if my husband and I each take one of the older children on different nights are there things to do in that area, at that time of night or should the rest of the family just stay at the villa?

Also side question, is it really necessary to wear a wetsuit at night during the summer? It doesn't seem like it would be that cold.

Thanks!!!

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manta Ray Night Snorkel

I recommend you go with Jack's Dive locker located in Kailua Kona. They allow ridealongs if you wish to take him on the boat, but not into the water so you could all go together. Where are you staying?

I always wear a shortie wetsuit because you are in the water for 45 minutes or more and I'm cold natured.

denver city, tx
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manta Ray Night Snorkel

I had thought about hiring a private boat, but it was to expensive. I thought about just bringing him and letting it play out but, he is just getting used to using a mask and has never been in the water a night; and while he does very well with new things, you just never know... if we all go and he is not able to do the snorkel, one of us would have to sit out with him, because he is unable to communicate verbally and can't be left on his on.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,221 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manta Ray Night Snorkel

Like you, I was wondering whether I would really need the wet suit, but believe me you'll definitely want it. Big difference between being in the ocean during the day when the sun is out and being in at night when you're stationary.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
307 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Manta Ray Night Snorkel

The snorkel is about 45 minutes, during which you'll just be hanging on to a flotation device with a guide. What you could do is have one of you stay on the boat with your son while the other swims out to the site, and then you could switch. The swim is a very easy one for most people and my husband, who is a boat captain, says he often does this when there is a child who just wants to ride along. I know that Big Island Divers is one of the companies that will allow this, and they have a good reputation.

Yes, you do need a wetsuit.

If you do choose to go on separate night, there is plenty to do in Kailua Kona while you wait for the manta snorkel to finish, then you could meet at the harbor.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Manta Ray Night Snorkel

Yes on the wet suit. My group of 4 opted out of the wet suit and it was freezing. My thought was its summer, I'm from FL it won't be cold, maybe a little chilly because the sun's not out. Boy was I wrong. They hosed us down with warm water when we got out and had hot chocolate for everyone.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manta Ray Night Snorkel

so do they rent wetsuits for this?

And are skin divers allowed? Or do you have to just snorkel up at the surface, with no diving down allowed?

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
307 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Manta Ray Night Snorkel

Most companies provide wetsuits as part of the cost, but not all - you'll need to ask. No, there's no skin diving allowed. The snorkelers are on the top and the divers are on the bottom, the mantas are in between. Believe me, when you have fish that can weigh as much as 1,500 lbs. circling around you don't want to get in the middle of them - it would be like jumping in a washing machine. Plus, the dive companies want to protect the mantas so they are allowed to get close to you but you aren't allowed to touch or interfere with them in any way.

Try watching one of the Youtube videos of the dive - just put "manta ray night dive-kona" in the search bar.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
70 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manta Ray Night Snorkel

Yes you will appreciate having a wetsuit at night. We went in August and definitely appreciated that Big Island Divers had wetsuits included in our trip.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,930 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manta Ray Night Snorkel

No free diving is allowed for snorkelers, you have to stay on the surface.

Yes, you'll want a wetsuit. I always use a full length one for that snorkel, even in summer.

10. Re: Manta Ray Night Snorkel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 June 2014, 06:05
Edited: 24 June 2014, 06:05