We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I Just Need Lots of Idea's and Help!

Port Orchard...
2 posts
Save Topic
I Just Need Lots of Idea's and Help!

First, I have never been to the BI. Our dear family friend and neighbor is getting married February 7 in Kona area - no idea where yet - and I will be traveling with my AA personality husband and my 87 year old father - who is very young in spirit and very spry.

LODGING AND AIR -

I would prefer to stay in a 2 bd/2 bath condo with kitchen and was looking at the Castle Halii Kai. However, it looks like the best flights from Seattle fly into Hilo, not Kona? If we arrive around 2pm the day before the wedding is either airport a problem? Hoping to keep lodging at $500-$600 per night total. Close access to restaurants would be nice, but not mandatory.

ACTIVITIES

Neither man is a shopper, but both are yachtsmen, my husband and I scuba and Dad still will snorkle. Not big on hiking or garden tours.My husband is prone to creating his own adventures if not fully entertained, which can get a little expensive with cabs, impromptu tour guides and such - so open to suggestions to keep them amused. Dad is laid back but "relax" is not in hubbies vocabulary.

MY "BIG" IDEA -

I was considering flying my Dad back home on the 11th and taking an island hopper to Maui flying home on Monday 16th - are there enough distractions to keep husband entertained on BI for 8 full days? ( not counting flying days or wedding day)

Thanking you all in advance!

Big Island Duck Adventures
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Duck Tours, Boat Tours
Epic! Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Gray Line - Polynesian Adventure Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Canada
Level Contributor
9,350 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I Just Need Lots of Idea's and Help!

Count your nights.

By "AA" personality husband, I will assume you mean "Type A".....

Definitely fly into KOA if you are starting off your trip there (wedding) you do not want to be crossing the Island more than you have to.......it is BIG.

Hali'i Kai is a fabulous choice! We have stayed there many ,many times. It is a beautiful resort , well maintained, modern spacious accommodation and a direct oceanfront pool and restaurant.

The Ocean Club there is a huge plus with staying at the resort ....especially in February. The vantage point for whale watching is indescribable. The views both up and down the Kohala coast and across to Maui (on a clear day) are truly wonderful.

Now,.....as you mention it as "Castle Hali'i Kai", I am going to assume you are either looking at a "package"...or directing on the Castle website. Either way, the rates you quote are pretty high....and VRBO will yield significantly lower rates.

February is an extremely popular time to visit, and I would not delay too much longer in securing accommodation. Feb is popular due to Valentine's, and President's day weekend. Many of the desirable units book up a year in advance,

So, if I am reading your OP correctly...you are contemplating a trip for 10 nights total for you and you husband. The first 5 nights on the Big Island with your Father, then the last 5 nights on Maui....just the 2 of you?

I would not fly into ITO......with your plans. Check Alaska Airlines, or Hawaiian (brief connection in HNL)

We will select flights on type of equipment .....HA uses A330, or 767

Port Orchard...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I Just Need Lots of Idea's and Help!

Thank you - yes, I was looking at an Alaska Air package and then went directly to Castle Resorts site. I will check out VRBO . And yes, I mean Type AA - there is no down time for the man.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,350 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I Just Need Lots of Idea's and Help!

I will usually book all of my flights direct on the Airline's site for best results.

I just now did a quick check on Kayak....using a "multi city" feature

Feb 06 SEA-HNL-KOA

Feb 11 KOA-OGG

Feb 16 OGG-SEA

The whole itinerary is on Hawaiian Airlines with their wonderful A 330 to and from the Mainland (includes a hot meal)

The Inter-island between Islands is included Price $678/person

Check it out.....

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,093 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I Just Need Lots of Idea's and Help!

That is a great price that Wanderlust quoted above, and including the inter island flights is great!

Do be aware though, that Maui is going to be busy as well, for the same reasons that Wanderlust listed. Lots of people head there for the whales, and to get away from horrible winters on the mainland.

Rental car will be needed on both islands. If you are a Costco member, check their website. Otherwise look at www.discounthawaiicarrental.com for a good rate. Keep checking back as the rates often drop in price, and can be rebooked.

Make sure you pack binoculars to watch the whales! And welcome to Trip Advisor.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I Just Need Lots of Idea's and Help!

I would just stay in the Big Island. There is more than enough to keep your husband entertained. It's the most diverse island geographically and is like two islands in one. Changing islands requires a lot of time in airports, car and rental check in and out and so on. Ideally you'll fly into one side of the island out the other, so I would suggest starting on the west side flying into KOA for the wedding and staying there your first 6-7 nights and then staying a couple of nights on the east side to enjoy Volcanoes National Park and the other east side attractions, perhaps once your father flies home.

Halii Kai is a great choice and will have excellent views in whale season. Kolea is another good option. I prefer the Mauna Lani area (and the Terrace or Point condos in particular) for access to beaches but Waikoloa Beach has more restaurants and shops.

6. Re: I Just Need Lots of Idea's and Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona
Recent Conversations