We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japanese food markets?

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Topic
Japanese food markets?

Hi - visiting next week with my wife and kids and hoping to find some Japanese foods market. My kids can't live without rice and nato. We are staying in a house so have the means to store and cook everything, just wondering where to pick it up. We are about 4 miles south of the airport in kona. Let me know if you have some suggestions.

Thanks a lot.

JP

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
28,420 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Japanese food markets?

Rice, nori, noodles and other common Japanese foods are very popular items amongst the general (heavily Asian) population and can be found at all grocery stores. KTA is a local chain and is excellent but even Safeway and pretty much everywhere else would be fine. I don't know about natto, not my cup of tea and I haven't looked for it but it's a good probability. There aren't any Asian specialty grocery stores because of the large amount of Asian items in "regular" stores.

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Japanese food markets?

Thanks so much SheaG! Looking forward to the trip!

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
277 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Japanese food markets?

We really liked this market:

Kilauea Market

1178 Kilauea Ave

Hilo, HI 96720

(808) 935-8828

Sort of a "Pan Asian" Market. Nice people running it. Disclaimer--it's been a few years since we've been there, though I see it has been reviewed as recently as 07/23/2014 on another famous review site. I'll send you a link.

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
277 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Japanese food markets?

Sorry, the market I mentioned is in Hilo, of course, and you are staying Kona. Long ride for groceries!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,082 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Japanese food markets?

As Shea said ... even Walmart and Target cater to Japanese tastes, not that I am saying to go there over a mom and pop.

KTA is a Big Island only food chain (very small chain), and caters heavily to Japanese and Filipino diets.

A couple of Japanese family owned markets -- Matsuyama's on the upper highway near the junction of Kona Palisades (the road up from just south of the airport). They have a newer store on the lower highway south of the airport, but I've not been in it, as it didn't exist when I lived on the west side. The one on the upper highway is old.

There are stores in South Kona and Holualoa too, but I don't know their names.

If you go to North Kohala, and you should, be sure to stop in the K.Takata Store. Takata's (as residents call it) is the only real grocery store in North Kohala, and it is totally one of those old time Japanese family stores and a piece of history. It is in Kapa'au now, a block on the Hawi side of the Aloha Gas Station, easy to spot on makai side of the "highway." It is between the two villages.

Google map link, street view:

http://goo.gl/maps/1o57x

Here's the great story of how this family built the store, which was originally where the Bamboo Restaurant is now.

keolamagazine.com/magazines/maui-county/2013…

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Japanese food markets?

Wow - Thanks everyone for your responses. You will make wife and kids really happy!

7. Re: Japanese food markets?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona