We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfboard rental and poke?

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
29 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Surfboard rental and poke?

My husband is a pretty decent surfer and we plan to spend about 10 days on the Big Island in late Nov. We're staying in a private condo on Alii Drive on the Kona Coast across from Lyman's Bay which is purportedly a good winter surf spot. Can anyone tell me a good place to rent a decent longboard for about a week near Kailua-Kona?

Also, any advice on a good, but very reasonable place to purchase prepared ahi tuna poke or any variety of poke (takeout) in the area? I'm used to getting poke from Daiei in Honolulu and Safeway/Star Markets/Foodland on Maui, but not familiar with the markets on the Big Island. I plan to eat as much of this stuff as I can during our vacation but don't want to pay ultra primo prices if I can get a good recommendation from a local!

Also -- another favorite: best Loco Moco recommendation for that area? Mahalo!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfboard rental and poke?

Loco Moco in Kona: Kona Mix Plate at the Kopiko Plaza. Should you be in the Kainaliu area stop by at Guy's Grindz for the best Loco Moco on the West Side.

2. Re: Surfboard rental and poke?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona