We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to Kailua Kona

Blowing Rock, NC
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Family trip to Kailua Kona

My wife and some of her family members are taking her brother to Hawaii after a military tour of duty in the middle east in July. We are planning to rent a house to sleep about 8 (3 bedrooms, 1 will need twin beds). Do you have any recommendations regarding houses, restaurants, markets, etc?

When we travel, we like to dine at local favorites and cook our own meals.

Thank you for your help!!

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
267 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip to Kailua Kona

Regarding house rentals, you could first go online and search for "Big Island Vacation Rentals" and see what comes up. I would strongly recommend obtaining the book Big Island Revealed from your library or bookstore also. The book has lots of rental agencies listed in the back. Another option is to try a 3 bedroom condo. You could go to PleasantHolidays.com and put in your search parameters for AIR+CAR+HOTEL. You could save quite a bit of money bundling this way--air fares to Hawaii are quite expensive. You may save 5% through Pleasant by booking through AAA online.

As far as restaurants, you'll find lots of them along Alii Drive, the main thoroughfare in Kona, and there is a supermarket at the extreme southern end of Alii Drive also. I'm sure there are others.

Don't forget to spend 1-2 nights at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,047 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip to Kailua Kona

Are you set on Big Island? The weather there starts heating up in March. Can be very hot in summer and fall. Seems to me, if I were coming back from a hot, dry place, I'd LOVE one of the more tropical islands: Kauai, Maui.

Just my two cents.

3. Re: Family trip to Kailua Kona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 22:16