We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to go?

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver
7 posts
Save Topic
Best place to go?

We are planning a trip to Hawaii with our 2 kids age 5 and 8. Which island would you recommend for us?

everett wa
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to go?

Hi Lwest! Go to the Big Island and stay in Kona. There was so much family stuff to do, large turtles to see and swim with and then you can explore the island including the volcano which is very cool to kids! I would highly recommend this! If you stay at the Royal Kona, it has a safe little lagoon to swim in. Call ahead of time and tell them that you need to make sure that the rooms will meet your needs. Ours was great! The other place that looks VERY cool for kids is the Shearaton Keahou. We went out on an excursion with someone who was staying there and said it was great. The pool has awesome slides and a wonderful place.

Kona is a dryer island, but go to the other side and it is lush. Have fun!

Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to go?

We have been to the Big Island, Oahu, and Kauai. As I write this, we are currently on the Big Island with our daughters, age 6 and 9. I would definitely rule out Oahu - if you are going to make this long a flight, pick an island that is less commercial. My choice is, by far, the Big Island. There is sooooo much to do -even with younger kids. We stay just south of Kona, near Keauhou. This week we took a mule pulled wagon ride through the Waipi'o Valley (the kids loved the ride and wild horses they saw), spent a day traveling to Volcano National Park, stopping along the way at the Black Sand Beach to see Hawksbill turtles right on the shore and South Point where there are incredible cliffs and huge windmills, a day with the Body Glove crew (fantastic) snorkeling and whale watching, a couple of days at Hapuna Beach Park (some of the clearest water with beautiful sand and perfect waves for the kids to boogie board), and tomorrow is a day of snorkeling at Kahalu'u Beach Park. There is so much diversity of things to do on this island that you can always find something fun and interesting. Kauai was very beautiful, but I felt it had less to do.

everett wa
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to go?

Hey Chez Tom,

We would like to come back to Kona in November 07. Where do you stay? I would like to get more information on what your itinerary looks like....you mentioned all the stuff I wanted to do on our trip, but didn't get to do all of it. It sounds like you have it down to a science!

We were in Kona at Christmas and our rental car got messed up by our travel agent. We were also on a VERY lean budget. This time, we want to do more! Any pointers you can give would be wonderful since we will have a car! Thanks!

4. Re: Best place to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 00:17