We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about hotels to host a wedding on the Big Island?

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver
1 post
Save Topic
Question about hotels to host a wedding on the Big Island?

I am trying to narrow down a location to have a very small wedding on the Big Island. I think I have narrowed it down to the Mauna Lani and the Mauna Kea. We want to get married on the beach and are looking at the resort as a whole for taking pictures, beach locations, etc. I go to school full-time and work-full time so I will not have a chance to get over there and do some exploring myself. I taked to the photographer and others who have said that both hotels are good but don't really offer any more information than that. I am not sure if that is because they work together and they don't want to cause any waves with recommeding one over the other or what! If anybody can offer any information, I would REALY REALLY appreciate it!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about hotels to host a wedding on the Big Island?

Aloha

In my opinion the beach at mauna Kea is a deep crescent and great to swim........it is a classic The Mauna Kea has cool little coves to the north neat the golf course.....

The beach at the Mauna Lani is a broad slightly jutting beach which for pictures is more dramatic. as wou will have more horizon than the Mauna Kea... The Canoe house at the Mauni Lani has a likewise stunning view.

Both are like comparing bentleys to rolls royce........you cant loose

HD

kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about hotels to host a wedding on the Big Island?

either hotel would be Gorgeous, but I think that the Mauna Kea has the slight edge on dramatic beauty for an outside wedding. go onto both websites for more pictures. mauna kea's website, www.maunakeabeachhotel.com offers 360 degree virtual tours, and that could be helpful for you to view.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about hotels to host a wedding on the Big Island?

I've stayed at both hotels, and I agree, the beach at the Mauna Kea is definitely nicer and the better setting. Although I'd give the nod to the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel as being a little nicer than the Mauna Kea Hotel.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about hotels to host a wedding on the Big Island?

Sorry, I meant the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, if there was any confusion.

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about hotels to host a wedding on the Big Island?

I'm not familiar with those two places because we ALWAYS go to Kona Village. I can't imagine a more romantic place for your wedding. Depends on what you're looking for. Not much night life, but authentic Hawaiian village ambiance. Individual hales offer privacy, and many have wonderful ocean views. The fine dining restaurant there, Hale Samoa, is one of the things we look forward to all year. Quiet, practically on the beach, not a bunch of loud music ruining the atmosphere. You might want to check it out.

kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about hotels to host a wedding on the Big Island?

aloha Paris. I agree, for the past couple of years the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel has had a slight edge over the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel in terms of food, and room interiors/amenities. Mauna Kea Beach Hotel clearly has the better beach (the beach at Mauna Lani is man-made) and grounds. stay tuned, there are some big changes happening at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel - for the better.

aloha Up. I share your love of Kona Village Resort, it's a magical place. that would be an awesome locale for a wedding if Bfaul wants to "go native". but you're right; it's expensive - plus there's no A/C at Kona Village, and this could be a problem in the warmer months. but this is definately an idea worth considering.

IMO