We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tent camping in Seward/Kenai/Homer areas

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
tent camping in Seward/Kenai/Homer areas

We plan to visit Alaska in mid-August--we will be tent camping in

campgrounds, not back country. How is the mosquito problem

during that time? Will we need reservations? I can understand

needing a reservation if we had a RV but I wasn't sure about

tent camping. Can you tell me some good places to tent camp in

these areas, also at Chugach State Park?

I would also like to know some good restaurants in these areas, also. We prefer locally owned, good seafood and family type.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,540 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tent camping in Seward/Kenai/Homer areas

Not sure about the tent camping . . . many campgrounds get booked whether you are in an RV or a tent, but by mid-August things should be slowing down some. Now in our area, mosquitos are almost non-existant, but not sure about the Kenai. I am usually down there in June or July and they have never been bad like they get in the Interior.

Good restaurants - was just recently in Homer, and here are the spots I really enjoyed. Fat Olives - great pizza! Cups Cafe - excellent dining in a fun/funky atmosphere. Good breakfast at Cosmic Kitchen. Oh, and down on the spit, I like Capt. Patty's - incredible crap melts. There are more good ones in Homer, just didn't have the opportunity to eat at all of them! :)

Have a great trip!

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tent camping in Seward/Kenai/Homer areas

www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/aspbro/index.htm There are alot of campgrounds on the pennisula. Are you looking more for private, with showers, near trail heads, etc? Some don't take reservations such as the Seward City camping along the waterfront and Exit Glacier campground. 1st come basis. Seward is on the ocean and tends to be windy alot which helps keep the skeeters away. Inland around woody, wet areas where they breed can be really bad.

There is alot of primitive camping just off the hwy. It's a good idea to arrive early in the day to have a better pick at spots. Get a copy of the Milepost Book. Great detailed info for driving on whats up ahead.

Thorn's Showcase Lounge has great halibut. The Salmon Bake out on Exit Glacier road has a varied menu with a rustic log type decor.

Gwin's in Cooper Landing has good family type. Summit Lake Lodge has a nice sunroom for dining and a nice stop for ice cream.

3. Re: tent camping in Seward/Kenai/Homer areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 08:25