We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September

South Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
September

I notice a lot of brochures, websites and books say attractions are open May to September, but in Seward when in September do they close. We are planning a Sept. trip. The thing I would like to do most is a glacier cruise. Seeing whales would be a dream. My husband is more into flight seeing. What time in Sept do most of these attractions close, and does anyone have any recommendations for the best in the area. We are not up for a whole day on a boat.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September

Wildlife cruises will still be happening in Sept. The longer rides are better for a greater chance of seeing whales and you have to take a longer one to get out of the bay and see the big glaciers. Exit Glacier will be open and Scenic Mountain Air should still be flying also. Godwin Glacier heli/dog sled rides will be closed. A few gift shops and restaraunts may be shut down but there will still be plenty open to choose from. tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i10631-Things_t…

Seward,AK
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: September

I would also be questioning the weather before making this decision the weather starts to pick up and in the past in september it has even snowed here so that is also one thing to look out for. If you are looking to go out fishing it is fantastic on the Kenai River, ocean fishing by then has slowed tremendously since august with only silver salmon fishing opportunities available. More than likely I would just consult the tour opporator you are going with before deciding to visit Seward at that time of the year.

South Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September

Thank you. I had not planned a tour operator. I am unsure what would be best. Being this late in the season could we wait until we arrive to book a glacier cruise? Also, do the leaves change colors in Seward in September. We live in South Florida so this is a big thing.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September

You can wait to book a cruise. Majority of the time same day are available.

The leaves do change colors, lots of yellows. Not much bright oranges and reds as there aren't maple trees around. The mnts will have a red glow from the fireweed.

Make sure to take a walk out at Exit Glacier.

5. Re: September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 20:17