We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike to tonsina point

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hike to tonsina point

I understand the Lowell point road is unpaved, is it correct? How can I get to the Caines Head trailhead? Is it possible to bike there ?

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hike to tonsina point

hey travelbug014,

was wondering that myself. finally found some info in a book I bought (The Rough Guide to Alaska). couldn't find direction from map I got from Seward travel book. It basically says south of downtown, Lowell Point Road (still gravel road?) runs a couple of miles south along the fjord to Lowell Point, a small scattered community with Miller's Landing Campground, some b & b's, and kayak rentals. Just as you enter Lowell Point state recreation area marks the start of a 4.5 miles (1 way) tide dependent hiking trail following old army roads to Caines Head State Recreation Area.

It looks like there is a bike trail that runs from the former train station area along Resurrection Bay, past the Founders Monument, ending somewhere around Kenai Fjords National Park visitor center near Van Buren ST.

Some info on the hike at "www.akhs.atfreeweb.com/hikes/caines_head.htm

Maybe someone else has better directions on where Lwl Pt rd starts at from town?

Think we'll be on one bus at Denali on same day. We're taking earliest bus out to Wonder Lake area on Monday.

Have a great trip!!

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hike to tonsina point

Good advice in the first posting. I like the information at the Div of Nat Resources,

…state.ak.us/parks/units/caineshd.htm#rbsmp

and for fun you can read what Miler's landing has to say:

www.millerslandingak.com/hiking_caines.htm

as well as

http://www.kenai.fjords.national-park.com/

I am sending the same links to local friends want to hike of bike to Caine's Head. I have kayaked there but not hiked the beach.

Yes, the road from Seward by the Sea Life center to Miller's landing and the public parking area a bit south of that is all gravel. It is normally not so bad. They just replaced the old one lane bridge, so it is more comfortable still.

The DNR link has a link for a map, and be sure to check the tide tables and the hours recommended for the hike!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hike to tonsina point

Thank you folks. I checked the links and the pictures and makes me want to go past Tonsina point. I have to be extra careful though since I am getting used to the tides thing.

Flame70, yes, I will be in the 6:45 DNP bus on 26th & 27th (that was the earliest I got when ). You too have a good trip & enjoy AK. Yeah, now it is less than 48 hours for my flight (though I have tons of planning to do).

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hike to tonsina point

Lowell Pnt rd isn't paved with some areas almost single lane. A very scenic drive, it can get very rough, LOTS of potholes with rainy weather and we won't mention anything on the mud. ;) People do ride bikes and walk the road along with it being popular for fishing.

.. 3rd 4th 5th streets end at the Sealife Center. from there go towards the mountain over the bridge past the man made waterfall and the fish cannery, next 2 miles are along the water. Cross another bridge, after a sharp turn to the left there will be a road to the right, turn and take the next right which has a sign Caines Head trailhead. Trail starts right up the little hill, well marked. You can get a copy of the tide book at many gas stations, banks, grocery stores, and any tackle/fish place.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hike to tonsina point

Thanks Glacierlady. So, I won't be able to drive my rental car to the trail head. Does it make sense to bike to the trailhead and then hike? Is it possible /safe to leave the bike at the trailhead and hike?

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hike to tonsina point

You'd have no problem driving a rental car to the trailhead. Just go slow to avoid troubles such as a flat tire or rock flying up chipping the windshield. Watch out for others as some drive just too darn fast on that road! In dry weather it can get very dusty and not much fun on a bike or walking. Wet weather causes the pot holes. I drive it during the winter with waves splashing up causing it to be very icey! Rock slides and avalanches occur too. Going slow also allows a great chance for seeing some wildlife in the bay. I've seen whales, porpiose, seal lions, harbor seals, sea otters, jumping salmon and tons of birds. Saw an eagle swoop down and grab a salmon right out of the jaws of a seal lion once, was totally awesome.There are a few places to pull over to let others by or check out the scenery. Enjoy, it's one of my favorite little drives. If your looking for a place to stay while your here my favorite is Alaska Saltwater Lodge located at the end, right on the beach.

Oakland, Mi
Level Contributor
165 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hike to tonsina point

Travelbugo14

Did you do the hike? We did the hike back in 2005 and when I just checked the website with State Parks -- they had a warning not to do this hike because of washouts from floods in Oct 2006. Can you give an update ?

Seward, Alaska
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hike to tonsina point

Hi

You can still do the hike - there is one bridge still damaged but you can just ford the river at low tide - just wear your rubber boots and use common sense.

Kara

9. Re: Hike to tonsina point

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2008, 21:56
10. Re: Hike to tonsina point

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 14:17