We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northwestern Fjord Cruise-Any Advice?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Northwestern Fjord Cruise-Any Advice?

We are booked for the 9.5 hr Northwestern Fjord Cruise for the end of August. Does anyone have advice for us? What wildlife did you see? What was the best/worst part? How was the food? The restrooms? Did you find the crew to be informative? What should we wear? Thanks in advance!

Morristown, NJ
Level Contributor
280 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northwestern Fjord Cruise-Any Advice?

Hi Lobeau,

I'm watching your post and waiting to see what others might post. From what I've read, it seems that you really get deep into the park with the 9-hour cruise. We're still debating between the 9 hour or the 6 hour cruise.

Do you have any ideas about what else you're going to do in Seward yet? We're thinking of seeing the Exit Glacier and the AK Sealife Center, but not sure what else there is.

Happy planning! :)

S1

Connecticut
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Northwestern Fjord Cruise-Any Advice?

Hi Slinky1 We are also planning the Sea Life Center. Not much else because we are only staying two nights, then we're off to Denali.We are using the Great Alaskan Tour Saver for many of our activities. We may ride the aeriel tram at Alyeska Resort, I think it's on the way. If you don't already have a tour saver book, I think it may be worthwhile to purchase one. We should save over $800 on our trip. Many of the acitivities we probably would not try if not for the BOGO offers.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Northwestern Fjord Cruise-Any Advice?

Hi Slinky1 We are also planning the Sea Life Center. Not much else because we are only staying two nights, then we're off to Denali.We are using the Great Alaskan Tour Saver for many of our activities. We may ride the aeriel tram at Alyeska Resort, I think it's on the way. If you don't already have a tour saver book, I think it may be worthwhile to purchase one. We should save over $800 on our trip. Many of the acitivities we probably would not try if not for the BOGO offers.

Morristown, NJ
Level Contributor
280 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northwestern Fjord Cruise-Any Advice?

Hi Lobeau,

We're looking into some of the activities in the toursaver book as well. We're still undecided about which cruise to take for the Fjords. We're also thinking of doing some rafting up near Denali but I'm concerned we may be trying to do too many things instead of savoring little things and enjoying the journey from place to place, if that makes sense.

Are you doing the Fjord cruise on your first day in Seward or on the second? We're driving from Anchorage and are not sure whether to get up real early and drive down for the cruise, or to wait until our second day when we're rested. I'm leaning towards the second day. :)

S1

Connecticut
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Northwestern Fjord Cruise-Any Advice?

Hi Slinky1 from New Jersey. I used to vacation at Pt. Pleasant when I was a kid. We are doing the Fjord cruise on the second day, so we won't be rushed to get there. When we were in Yellowstone two years ago, we went river rafting and had a blast! Would love to do it again up near Denali, but, like you said, don't want to be too rushed to relax and enjoy being in Alaska. I would really enjoy getting in a few hours of kayaking, have you seen anything that is not all day long?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northwestern Fjord Cruise-Any Advice?

I did a shroter cruise- only up to holgate glacier from seward, i would have loved to cruise longer, it was great. I saw humpback whales, seals, thousands of puffins and other ocean birds, two black bears (one swimming, really rare, they hate water), and porpoises. I didn't eat the food on the ship, i brought my own. The restrooms were not the nicest, but better than none at all. When you get up close to the glaciers it gets chilly so i'd bring a sweater or a coat.

I also went to the Sealife Center, which was good. It was like my aqaurium in Chattanooga, TN, in the respcet that it focused on local spiecies so you learn about the local wildlife. The Center was very informative.

Exit Glacier is worth a trip. If you dont mind the tough hike (3,000 ft in 3 miles, 6 miles round trip) i would also recomend hiking up to the ice sheet that feeds the glaciers (forgot its name). I saw a mother baer and her cubs on that trail.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northwestern Fjord Cruise-Any Advice?

We took this very cruise (the 9.5 hour one). Make sure you eat breakfast because their breakfast is a cinnamon roll. Lunch is a Subway turkey sandwich. Bring food or you'll be hungry!

I would recommend, if the weather is nice, getting a seat on the top deck. Just put your bags down and you can walk around all over.

We were somewhat fogged in, so I wish I had brought a book. There were many hours (at least 3) where there was nothing to see but fog. Bring a book for sure!

It was worth it though, because we went right up to the Northwest Glacier and saw major calving. A piece larger than my house fell into the water. We also saw mountain goats, sea lions, dall porpoises, and much more. If I were to go back to Seward, I would probably not do this tour again, I would go on the birding tour with Mariah tours - they do the glacier viewing but then focus on wildlife especially on birds.

What else is there to do in Seward? Many many things. Hike Cain's Trail head. Go kayaking - there are many half-day kayaking tours. You MUST visit Exit Glacier - the closet you will come to a glacier in your life, and it's a very easy walk (and free). Sea life center is great but will only take 2 hours. Go a little north on the highway and take one of the USFS walks - we took the 1.5 mile hike to Vagt Lake - we were the only one on it - it was just too beautiful, to be alone at this small gorgeous lake with a waterfall into it and a creek running out of it. And it's free.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Northwestern Fjord Cruise-Any Advice?

We did the long cruise and there was a variety of fruits and danish, soft drinks and coffee.

Lunch was very good and more than enough. We had ordered fish but ended up having one of everything and it was excellent and hot.

The captain narrated the entire time and took us to every spot loaded with otters, birds, dolphin and lots of whales and orcas.

It was an excellent crusie and if one person had a bad time, well I guess it happens once in a while.

Certain areas by the glacier can get very windy and cold. Just make sure you cover up. Check out my webshots on another post here. Most of the photos are from the 9 hour cruse.

I wish I you show you all the wonderful video we got.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Northwestern Fjord Cruise-Any Advice?

Voyager Mom, are you sure you took the Kenai Fjords Northwestern Fjords Cruise? With the hot lunch, it sounds like you took the Major Marine tour. The one that the original poster asked about was the Kenai Fjords tour - and they are known for having subway sandwiches for lunch.

Chicago
Level Contributor
65 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Northwestern Fjord Cruise-Any Advice?

See my Alaska posting, spent night on Fox Island. went on long long sightseeing cruise your scheduled for!