We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seward to Anchorage Transportation

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
293 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Seward to Anchorage Transportation

We arrive on the 24th May 2009 on the Veendam and had thought of using the train to get to Anchorage, but I think is only goes at 6.00pm, which would be quite late for our grand daughters whom are 6 and 7.

The ship gets in early, 6.00am. We have decided not do the local cruise tour, but instead get to Anchorage as we only have a few days in Alaska.

We are going to hire a car in Anchorage, but will be dropping this off again in Anchorage when we leave, so that we do not get charged a oneway fee.

Any suggestions on a good rental car firm.

Do our girls need to have booster seats?

Any comments on this ship would also be appreciated, hopefully we have made a good choice.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mal NZ

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,310 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seward to Anchorage Transportation

All the major and "second tier" rental firms in Anchorage are good. I would go with price. Being from overseas, I would check your local websites or a local travel agent to be sure you get an all-inclusive rate. These are usually cheaper than booking a car with just the base rate and buying the CDW once you get here. As far as I know, most if not all credit cards not issued in the US don't cover the CDW (collision damage waiver).

Since you are not flying in, consider renting from a company not on the airport. It may save you a lot in taxes and surcharges.

Taxi, your cruise ship transfer, the train as you mentioned, and a bus are the main ways to get from Seward to Anchorage. I believe Alaskan Leopard also goes that route.

John

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seward to Anchorage Transportation

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know if the train from Seward to Anchorage leaves earlier than 6.00pm. This is the only time I could find.

Does anyone know if HAL have a tranfer and how much it would cost for 2 adults and 2 children.

Is end of May (24th) too early to rent a RV in Alaska?

What is the cost of the camping grounds and any idea on how much a one way rental costs.

Also the oneway rental on a vehicle.

Many thanks for your help.

Mal NZ

Alabama
Level Contributor
346 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Seward to Anchorage Transportation

With the long hours of daylight in Alaska, we had trouble getting our kids to bed at a decent hour. I'd encourage you to not rule out the 6pm train entirely, although of course you know your family best.

There's plenty to do in Seward that your granddaughters would enjoy -- the SeaLife Center, Ididaride, and Exit Glacier are all good choices, as well as just spending time along the waterfront.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seward to Anchorage Transportation

If we stayed on in Seward, where could we store our bags?

What time do we have to be off the ship?

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seward to Anchorage Transportation

May 14th is not to early to rent an RV you will be coming around our Memorial Day holiday weekend, a big camping weekend. Camping can be free to $30 depending on what amenities you choose.The only train that leaves Seward is at 6pm. You can leave your bags at the train station and use local transportation. I think seeing the sights in Seward is worth the time. You will find that the kids will have trouble adjusting to the sun and if they are tired they can sleep on the train, it will be light out when you arrive in Anchorage. Maybe stay somewhere close to the RR station (Comfort Inn) and an adult takes a taxi to pick up rental in the morning, that way the kids sleep in and you get an early start. It may also be economical to check into renting (car) off-airport to avoid some taxes.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seward to Anchorage Transportation

Thank you for the information.

We are arriving the 24th May, not the 14th, so wont be the long weekend.

How long would you suggest we stay in Anchorage? One or two nights.

What is the Must See for Anchorage?

Will the roads be icy at this time of year?

Is there any company to rent a RV or Car from that you could suggest?

What time does the train get into Anchorage if we get the 6.00pm and what time does it get dark.

Thanks and sorry for all of the questions.

Mal NZ

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seward to Anchorage Transportation

Train arrives Anc 10:20pm Gets dark around midnight at the end of May.

Alaska does have a seatbelt/car seat law. I don't know the ages for requirement of booster seat.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seward to Anchorage Transportation

Roads won't be icy.

Many rental companies for cars and RV's in Anc. Great Northern and ABC are the 1st 2 to come to mind.

Umm.. what were the other questions? LOL

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seward to Anchorage Transportation

Cruise ship disembarkation starts at 6am and is done by 10am. You can basically walk off the ship at anytime since you'll be classified as independant. Luggage is retrieved in the terminal and would be the only reason they would want you waiting for a #/color. Most take buses to Anc. They don't want everyone walking off at the same time. Average is 8:30-9am. Keep your luggage with you and walk off anytime after 6am.

There is a cruise contracted train that leaves Seward at 7am but costs almost double and runs on the same tracks as the daily passenger train.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seward to Anchorage Transportation

The long weekend will fall at the end of May, sorry about my typing (14 should have been 24)I have a broken hand and it is weird with just one hand. You could spend 2 nights in Anchorage and see the sights. Some favorites are, Native Heritage Center, weekend market, Anchorage Museum, The Alaska Zoo, Tony Knowles Coastal trail, Flattop Mountain. South of Anchorage (1-1.5 hr dirve) is the Wildlife Conservation Center, Portage Glacier, Girdwood (tram ride up mountain/Crow creek Mine). North of Anchorage you could see Eklutna Village, Eklutna Lake, Iditarod Headquarters, Hatcher Pass, Independence Mine, Matanuska Glacier, Eagle River Nature Center. These are just some suggestions some would depend on what your interests and desires are. I just have to say that I have had 5 nieces/nephews visit and the kids are just fascinated with the mines and the glaciers.