We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trail river campground reservations?

pluto377
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
trail river campground reservations?

does anyone know whether or not this campground takes reservations? i'm getting conflicting information from the forest service site and recreation.gov. i'm a bit of an obsessive planner so if i can make reservations i want to do so as soon as possible so i don't miss out. thanks!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trail river campground reservations?

We went there for a group gathering & it seemed to me only the group sites could be reserved, which may be why you are getting mixed messages. I'll have to do a search & get back to you.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trail river campground reservations?

According to the forest service website it is on the reservation system $18 for a single site:

http://tinyurl.com/ygzawn5

Edited: 06 February 2010, 02:42
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trail river campground reservations?

But then when I go to recreation.gov for Trail River I get the message that they are indeed only reserving group sites at this time.:

http://tinyurl.com/ydjzwac

When will you be there? The busy times along the Kenai Lake/River area are June & July for the 1st & 2nd red salmon runs.

Edited: 06 February 2010, 02:49
pluto377
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: trail river campground reservations?

thanks denalicat, i got the same info and thought i was going crazy, so at least it's not me! we will be there in mid-august (around the 10th). so hopefully we'll have no problem getting a site. have you ever stayed at ptarmigan creek camp? this one appears to take reservations and they seem to be very near each other with similar amenities.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trail river campground reservations?

We hiked back to Ptarmigan Lake many years ago, but have never stayed at the campground.

We've stayed at Primrose Campground & loved that little campground especially with delightful Primrose trail out the back of the campground.

We drove into Ptarmigan CG to check it out, but that was years ago so I really can't remember what it was like. Perhaps glacierlady will know since it is on the way to Seward.

Seward, Alaska
Level Contributor
212 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trail river campground reservations?

Just a heads up....Trail River campground just was redone last year...its really nice and is one of our favorites...The campground is centrally located is handy to Moose Pass, Cooper Landing, Seward, and Kenai River area...it is a great place to base camp or to make as a destination...lots of hiking and fishing in the area.The camp ground is on the shores of Kenai Lake.NIce!!!..Trail River Lodge is located not far...and has nice dining and a lounge, Estes Grocery..small country store is there too..

This would be my pick with the planned construction on the Seward Hwy..with bridges being replaced...it is out of the way of most of that and is a little more distant from the highway...

Ptarmigan Campground happens to be very near one of the bridges that is being replaced...We are talking steel bridges here...so expect some noise from the construction folks....but the campground and the area (hiking) is great otherwise....just check the construction issue..at Ptarmigan area...first.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trail river campground reservations?

Thanks for this info, ryakbrn!

I had asked my husband & we looked at the map because I was concerned regarding bridge construction. But we don't know that area so exactly. So your info is good to know.

pluto377
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: trail river campground reservations?

thanks for the info! hmmm.... decisions, decisions :-)

9. Re: trail river campground reservations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2010, 05:18