We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking in Seward - Aialik?

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking in Seward - Aialik?

My fiance and I will be getting married during an Alaskan cruise and having our honeymoon in Seward and Denali. Post cruise we can only really afford one luxury excursion. With our coupon book we can get a Resurrection Bay Kayaking trip for about $70 a person however, the $399 per person Aialik trip sounds absolutely amazing.

I am hoping to get some advice from people who took one or both trips and whether they thought Aialik was worth the extra cost. Our other luxury option would most likely be a helicopter ride and glacier landing in Denali but we are leaning toward Aialik depending on the responses here. Thank you.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking in Seward - Aialik?

hopefully tripgirl74 will respond but if she doesn't here's a previous post with info on kayaking from her and Noahshelper. She also has reviews of the kayak trips on her TA page.

tripadvisor.com/…24379641

seward
Level Contributor
473 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking in Seward - Aialik?

Hey Travelscheap, Some thoughts on an Aialik Bay trip... Depending on your timing and size of your group (what month) (5 or 6 ppl) you should be able to strike a deal with your outfitter. The biggest expense is the Water Taxi. That should run you about 185.00 to 200.00 per person. Again, if you have 5 or 6 ppl you might get a discount on price. On your guide if you are not exp. up here. That can run anywhere from 150.00 for a group of 5 or 6 to 150.00 per person. Note, that this can be a money saver if you bargain a little. You can cheapen that up more by taking your own food. A stop at our local store and you should be able to get everything you need. Make sure you get extra food.... Nothing like a storm coming up to delay your return with no or little food to eat. With a good group you also should be able to get a drop in Kayak rental rates. Normal rates around here are about 50.00 per dble and 45 or so for a single. Look for from 5-10.00 off if you rent as a group. If you guys get a couple of dbles you will also save there. I am a water guy so doing a Helio trip, although it is cool, does not compare for me to a day on the water. My bias.... Is A/Bay worth it. Yes, even to someone like me that has done the trip a lot. You get the chance to see Whales, Dall's, Sea Lions, Seals, Eagles, etc. Shop around.... Decide on the level of service you require, (example: do you need someone to fix your lunch) or desire. The best way to get a discount is to get someone who can give you a package deal. The outfitters can give you a better deal when you give them a better deal. Last thing... check the tides out. You want to get into Pederson. This ranks up there with the best of A/Bay. Your outfitter should be able to look this up for you. Ok, this is really the last thing, LOL.... Look for your outfitter to give you the most time for your dollar. Most of them will work with you a bit in departure time and pickup time. It takes about 2 to 2.5 hours to get over to A/Bay depending on what you see on the way. The same for ;the return. If you leave at 8 am you are paddling at 1030 to 1045. Include a stop for lunch, 1 hour and you might only get a 4-5 hour paddle. Maybe not enough time for Pederson and A/Glacier. Just some random thoughts.... Have a good trip and let us know how it was. Congrats to you and your sp. lady!! BoatAk

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking in Seward - Aialik?

Wow! Thanks for all of the advice BoatAk! We'll be traveling in May and I definitely think we need to splurge on the Aialik trip! I'll start researching all of your suggestions. Thanks again!

pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
297 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking in Seward - Aialik?

Aialik by far has been my favorite kayaking trip by far in AK. It's the whole package...calving glaciers, sealife, scenery, and somethimes even land wildlife. I think it's worth the money and the time to see it. I have some pictures posted under my contributions from last year....and we are going again this year. We had a some rain off and on during our 3 days, but it never damped the experience. You will not be disappointed.

5. Re: Kayaking in Seward - Aialik?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2010, 05:17