We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage Storage in Seward

south dakota
1 post
Save Topic
Luggage Storage in Seward

My family of 4 will be flying into Anc late Sat. June 5th and would like to take the train Sunday morning. At 8p.m. Sunday, our cruise will emark. Any suggestions on where to store our luggage? We would like to spend the day in and around Seward; but not sure what to do with the bags...

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,519 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage Storage in Seward

Welcome to the forum. Not sure which cruise line you are on but my understanding is that they all work like mine with RCCL did -

You check your luggage in Anchorage and tell them you are on the cruise ship. Your luggage gets tagged to the ship and you won't see it again until you are on the ship. For your carry-ons, you have two choices. I checked in at the ship right when I arrived and dropped my luggage off in my room (room was not ready to occupy but they let me leave my carry on there). Then I grabbed a bite to eat on the ship before heading into town.

If you take the Kenai Fjords boat trip (highly recommended), they will store your luggage for you. My guess is that the Exit Glacier Guides people would also store your luggage if you take their shuttle to Exit Glacier.

John

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,381 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage Storage in Seward

You can drop off your luggage with the longshoremen at the big white bin outside of the cruise terminal anytime after 11am. From the train depot it's a 1/2 mile walk or a $5 taxi ride.

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage Storage in Seward

We are in a similar situation. We arrive in Anchorage, spend one night at the Econolodge, take the train to Seward and spend one night, and then take the train back to Anchorage and spend another night at the Econolodge.

We really don't want to take all our luggage on the train, just what we need for the one night in Seward. We are hoping we can leave our luggage for one night at the Econolodge. If we cannot, does anybody have any suggestions?

I know somebody will wonder about our travel plans....We really wanted to ride the train both ways! So, after our return to Anchorage we pick up the rental car and head to Seward for 3 nights and then continue with our journey. Getting closer!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,519 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage Storage in Seward

Now that is a new one - take the train to Seward, spend a night, train back to Anchorage, then drive right back to Seward the next day? Why not just spend 4 nights in Seward the first time and skip Seward after you pick up the car? You really don't need a car in Seward so you would save $$ on the car rental. And you save time by not backtracking to Seward again. Maybe I am just missing something.

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage Storage in Seward

Hmm, we made these plans so long ago, I know there is logic in here somewhere j/k We need a car in the Seward area because we are spending four nights in a B&B that is outside of Seward. And, while in the area we will be making day trips to various points of interest.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage Storage in Seward

"We are hoping we can leave our luggage for one night at the Econolodge. If we cannot, does anybody have any suggestions?"

You can always store it at the airport for a small fee, though that's inconvenient. Apparently you can also store it at the Aviation Museum for free, though I don't see anything about that on its website. Here is the info from Alaska.net:

* Visitors with a few hours or a full day to explore Anchorage can store their luggage (and fish) at the airport. Open 5 a.m. - 2 a.m., the storage area is located in the South (Domestic) Terminal of the Airport on the Lower (Arrivals) Level across from baggage claim. Telephone: (907) 248-0373.

* Free luggage storage is also offered by the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum, located near the airport. www.alaskaairmuseum.org

7. Re: Luggage Storage in Seward

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2010, 07:18