We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips

Worcester...
Level Contributor
133 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
day trips

we are coming to Alaska this summer and will spend a week in Seward. We are traveling with children age 6 and 8. Looking for recommendations for day trips. We are especially hoping to get out into Kenai National Park. We are on a budget so looking for the less expensive options.

Thanks

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips

Are you guys going to have wheels?

Exit Glacier “Free”

Alaska SeaLife Center Adults $20.00 Children 4 – 11 $15.00 total $70.00 but well worth it.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
133 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips

Yes, we will have a car for the full time we are in Alaska

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips

There's not really enough to keep you busy for a whole week in Seward. Are you able to travel somewhere else (not just daytrips, but overnight)?

What are your interests? (hiking, fishing, goldpanning, etc.)

Worcester...
Level Contributor
133 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips

Spending a week based in Seward and a week based in Denali. Just want to get out in nature. Want to see glaciers, daughter wants to do a sleddog ride, goldpanning might be fun, would like to see wildlife.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips

I agree with MM that a week "based" in Seward is too long. You can't really take many day trips from Seward without a lot of wasted time in transit.

And I certainly hope that you are not planning on driving all the way from Seward to Denali in one day :-)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,587 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trips

Well, while that is not typical, I would rather see someone with smaller kids staying put that trying to do a killer drive trip around the state. I also like those laid back trip with my kids, where we are doing simple things that don't involve lots of $$ or doing much of anything. I could easily see just hanging out in Seward - walking down to see what the fishermen bring in, having ice cream in town, etc.

Do you already have your lodging booked?

Here is a good site for Seward:

directory.seward.com/list/QL/what-to-do.htm

Where are you staying in Denali?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trips

Which month is your trip?

I assume you're aware of the good places to stop and/or visit between Anchorage and Seward. There are some great ones for kids.

For a day trip out of Seward you could visit Coopers Landing and try the Russian Falls trail.

If you have a sunny day, you could also drive out past Soldotna a bit, either north or south to find a beach area. Probably too far to drive all the way to Homer but you could get as far as Ninilchik to see the Russian Church, have a picnic, go clamming (or pretend to) and enjoy the volcano views.

I recommend borrowing an Alaska travel book from the library. Or buy an old Alaska Milepost from Amazon to use as a resource; it provides the location of every gas station, hotel, restaurant, scenic viewpoint, activity, etc for each highway.

www.milepost.com/highway_info/seward_highway

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trips

I agree with Coalminer that a week in Seward could be a blast with small children. It's a blast for my husband & I to hang out there.

A lovely hike, one of the sweetest, easiest, is on the Primrose Trail out of Primrose Campground just north of Seward. There is trailhead parking. You can turn around anywhere, but you will get a glimpse of the rainforest. There are beautiful mosses, plants & trees.

You can walk the Exit Glacier trail out to the glacier, an easy, fun family walk.

The Sea Life Center is a must for kids your age.

The boardwalk along the bay is a lovely stroll. Take binoculars to watch for the sea otters & other sea life. There is a wonderful, fairly new playground there, not far from the Sea Life Center. Kids also love to play & hunt shells & driftwood down on the beach.

It's great fun to go out on the docks in the evening to watch the fishing boats come in with their catches. They hang the huge halibut up for picture opts!

Be sure to do a day cruise out to see the sea life: puffins, sea otters, etc.

Take the kids to Dan Seavey's iditarod sled dog yard tour to see the doggies :

ididaride.com/tours/seward/summerTours.htm

The beginning of the hiker's trail up Mt. Marathon is also very pretty. You could go just a short way up & then back. Directions for the hiker's trail:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60873-d320216/Seward…

Great ice cream parlor- I think it's called Harbor St. Creamery.

And don't miss halibut & chips! Yum!

Edited: 27 April 2011, 02:21
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trips

On your way to Anchorage, you could stop at Indian Valley to gold pan. It's right on the Seward Hwy:

http://www.indianvalleymine.com/gold_pan.html

Edited: 27 April 2011, 02:32
Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day trips

I like that idea of Indian for gold panning. I was there once and it is ideal for kids, bun by a family with young kids themselves. You could also consider checking out part of a stay at Hope, Alaska, which is off the Seward highway about 15 miles but beautiful, small and quite friendly with a nice shallow salmon stream, gold mines up the Resurrection Valley with a drivable trail going up to a recreational gold panning area, about as close to wilderness and visitors will ever want to get, and I would guess great for kids. Check out the many chances at gold panning all over the Kenai mountains you will be passing through, and don;t neglect the hikes along the road going up the mountains, they are great for burning ff energy and discovery of the northern most rain forest in America Consider Girdwood and some of the trails there and especially the Animal Conservation area and a stop at the Portage Glacier visitor center, and a hike to Bryon Glacier, which will be entirely different from Exit Glacier.

Others have covered Seward well. If the kids are history or military minded, consider a boat trip for a day picnic to Caine's Head. Certainly check out the many possibilities when you get to Seward.