We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Seward's June temps below average this year?

Burton, Michigan
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Are Seward's June temps below average this year?

Yikes! Just looked at an extended forecast for Seward (for next Tuesday). I know, I know...I shouldn't do that because everyone says Alaskan weather is difficult to predict. BUT...next Tuesday's forecast (Seward) calls for a high of 40 degrees and rain...wow! We're taking the MM Kenai Fjords 7 1/2 hr tour that day. We're prepared for whatever but if that forecast is accurate, maybe 4 layers won't be enough!

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Kenai Fjords Tours
Kenai Fjords Tours
3,741 Reviews
Seward, AK
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are Seward's June temps below average this year?

Sure looks nice right now!

http://www.majormarine.com/webcam/

The weather report attached to the web cam shows 55 for Tues. As does Weather underground. That's not bad at all. Actually that's what we have in Seattle right now, 55 and rain. You'll be fine ! I'd be more worried about winds. You can bundle up against the cold but nothing you can do about rough seas. Have a fantastic time!

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Burton, Michigan
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are Seward's June temps below average this year?

Just clicked on the webcam...it looks gorgeous in Seward! I double checked the extended forecast myself for next Tuesday...you're right, highs in the mid 50's. I must have been having a "senior moment" earlier when I looked...and a cold one at that! Thanks for the info and reassurances!

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are Seward's June temps below average this year?

Even if it's nice in Seward, it can be cold out on the ocean. And especially if you want to spend much time outside on deck watching wildlife or glaciers, be sure to have a jacket, and gloves and hat for near the glacier. That way you can get all the pictures you want.

Of course if you do get cold, you can always pop back into the nice warm cabin to warm up.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are Seward's June temps below average this year?

I NEVER EVER rely on weather forcasts here. It really does whatever it wants, when it wants. It can be nasty in town.. cold, rain, wind, snow (all 4 letter words..LOL) and just a few miles out of town.. beautiful.

Another way I look at it.. the weather forecasters have a 50/50 shot.. If they predict sun and it rains.. they are in trouble for being wrong but if they predict rain and it's sunny... everyone is happy and it doesn't matter.

So expect it to be cold and rain but be pleasantly surprised with nice weather.

I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are Seward's June temps below average this year?

Also.. the weather can change fast.. morning can be nasty and a few hours later/afternoon it clears up and vice-versa. The wind is the biggest concern for being on the water and causing rough seas.

Burton, Michigan
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are Seward's June temps below average this year?

Thank you everyone for your input...it really has helped to calm me...whatever will be, will be :) We're beside ourselves with excitement to visit your beautiful state (first timers!). Mild or cold...rain or shine, we plan on having the time of our lives!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are Seward's June temps below average this year?

The boat tours are quite spectacular. You'll have a great time! In your first post you mentioned 4 layers, so it sounds like you're prepared for whatever comes your way.

Aren't you doing a road trip plus a cruise? I remember your name because when I first saw Burton I thought you might be from England.

Burton, Michigan
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are Seward's June temps below average this year?

Yes, we have an independently booked 6 day land trip prior to a 7 day south bound cruise. We're renting a minivan in Anchorage (there's 6 of us), first we're heading to Seward and vicinity for a couple of days, then on to Denali for 2 nights (with reservations on park shuttle bus to Eielson), Talkeetna (McKinley flightseeing tour), then back to Anchorage for one night. We arrive in Whittier late the following morning for the Phillips 26 glacier tour...afterward that, we board the Coral Princess for the cruise portion of our trip.

I've practically lived on tripadvisor and cruisecruitic for the past 9 months or so...lurking, reading and asking a few questions here and there. Really, I haven't had to ask much because all I've needed to do is use the search feature...most every question has already been covered! Such an amazing wealth of information from locals and travelers on these sites. You guys are awesome!

Tomorrow evening we leave for Anchorage. Seriously, if I knew 9 months ago what I know now...I definitely would have added a couple of extra days to our land tour. But then again, there's always next time!

Edited: 19 June 2011, 02:37
Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are Seward's June temps below average this year?

Sounds like a well planned trip. I'll be watching the web cam for you on Tuesday. Have a wonderful time ! carol

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are Seward's June temps below average this year?

As glacierlady said " I NEVER EVER rely on weather forcasts here. "

OP was worried about the predicted rainy day in Seward ! I just looked at the webcam and it looks like lovely. I'm sure OP and group are enjoying their Kenai Fjords trip. Hopefully they'll have good weather all day.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Kenai Fjords Tours
Kenai Fjords Tours
3,741 Reviews
Seward, AK