We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

boat cruise or kayak sunset tour???

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CT
Level Contributor
315 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
boat cruise or kayak sunset tour???

Yikes!

How to choose which one?

I'm leaning towards the kayak trip since we are doing a whale/marine animal watch out of Icy Strait Point. I am concerned about getting wet though in the kayak and don't want to have to pack rain pants - is this a legitimate concern?

We have good rain jackets - looks like we're facing a rainy week.

New England
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: boat cruise or kayak sunset tour???

The kayak will have a spray skirt but you may still get wet, especially if it is raining. If you choose not to wear rain pants be sure you wear something other than jeans or cotton as they get very cold when wet.

When we kayaked in Seward it was a drizzly day. I wore silk long johns, nylon pants, wool socks, rain pants, a long sleeve insulating top, fleece jacket, hat and gloves and rain jacket. Worked pretty well though I still got damp.

CT
Level Contributor
315 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: boat cruise or kayak sunset tour???

Hmmm... I'm bringing everything except the rain pants.

Is it possible to watch the forecast and then decide or will we be closed out?

jjo
Chicago
Level Contributor
477 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: boat cruise or kayak sunset tour???

Kayaking in Alaska is pure magic. Being at water level, with no motors. So you get a bit wet? It's not like you're on a multi-day camping trip. You'll get back to the hotel and change into dry clothes.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: boat cruise or kayak sunset tour???

jjo's right.......We were in an open canoe (no spray skirt like in a kayak) during a driving rain in Ketchikan, tour continued as planned and we returned to the ship drenched so we just changed into dry clothes.......

Another trip, we kayaked in Glacier Bay with spray skirts....did not rain and we were quite dry.....well, until I fell into the water getting out of the kayak, but you will probably be less clumsy LOL......would not have given up either experience......great memories !

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,121 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: boat cruise or kayak sunset tour???

I would not consider going to Alaska without a rain jacket and rain pants. That is whether I am kayaking or not.

New England
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: boat cruise or kayak sunset tour???

I also agree with jjo -- you can just go back and change when you return to town. I would not forgo the trip if it rains, with or without the rain pants. The muted grays gave wonderful depth to our pictures and I would not have missed our kayak trip for anything.

CT
Level Contributor
315 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: boat cruise or kayak sunset tour???

Sounds awesome...thanks everyone! I am really looking forward to kayaking!

We will have our rain jackets and fleece, nylon cargo pants, wool socks and keens - so if we get wet, we get wet! We're staying at the Best Western so its not too far until we change into dry clothes, as you said.

Thanks for helping me think it through.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
90 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: boat cruise or kayak sunset tour???

Depending on who your kayak trip is through, many will bring you boots, heavy rain pants with suspenders, and rain coats. Check with your outfitter to see if they can provide if this is the only activity you are going to need them for.

When we kayaked in Seward last July (early in the month) it was overcast and chilly. Even with the provided rain gear on, we came home with wet sleeves, damp pants, wet socks. We kayaked to a spot where we could get out and walk a bit and it was wonderful. We even got right up next to a floating sea otter.

The one thing I wished I had brought were waterproof gloves so my hands weren't freezing!

CT
Level Contributor
315 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: boat cruise or kayak sunset tour???

Update - none of the kayak outfitters could fit us (7), so we did the 6 hour boat trip with Kenai Fjords Tours - it was fantastic! Saw Orcas, breeching humpbacks, sea otters, mountain goats, eagles, stellar sea lions, horned and tufted puffins, seals, and much calving activity at Aialik Glacier. Our captain (Dan O.) did a super job.

The open ocean passage was quite rough, but we were warned ahead of time and properly prepared with Dramamine. Other folks (mostly children)did not fare as well with seasickness.

10. Re: boat cruise or kayak sunset tour???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 05:17