We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seward questions

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Seward questions

My bff and I are planning a trip to Seward then Denali next June. We plan on driving from Anchorage to Seward staying for 2 nights then heading to Denali. My questions are how is the drive from Anchorage to Seward? I see there is a lot of elevation gain. Is it a hard drive? i live in MD and go to WV a lot and one time we drove an there was a ton of switchbacks going up and going down a mountain. is it like that? I really freaked us out. lol Also what is a must do in the area? We want to kayak and doa boat tour at the Fjords. What else should we do?

Thank you!

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,504 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seward questions

No big drop offs or switchbacks. The road has been widened in many areas. When you go into the mountains the road is four lanes with passing lanes. There is one high bridge along the route. The road is much nicer now that they brought it down near the water along Turnagain Arm.

In Seward you may want to visit the Sealife Center and check out Exit Glacier. You could also visit a dog sled kennel if that interests you.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seward questions

Thank you soo much! If I go check out exit glacier can I just wear normal shoes? lol

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seward questions

Allow time for road construction where they are continuing the highway improvement, and definitely do NOT worry about any switchbacks. It's a beautiful drive, and you will want to stop often.

Winder, Georgia
Level Contributor
350 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seward questions

There are pull outs all along this highway for taking in the scenery & photos. Depending on the weather, it will be safer to use the pullouts on the right heading to Seward, & those on the left returning. On the way to Seward you could stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center, Portage Glacier, Alyeska Resort for a tram ride, & in Seward take a helicopter to Godwin Glacier for a sled dog ride. The Milepost magazine is a wealth of information about the Alaska highways, giving mile by mile description. Well worth the purchase price.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seward questions

Thank all soo much! That was very helpful!

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,504 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seward questions

You can visit Exit Glacier without any extra gear. If you want to climb on the glacier you would need a guide and gear. Check out the National Park Service page about Exit Glacier for more information.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,283 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seward questions

As I mentioned in your other thread, I always recommend having the Milepost ( www.TheMilepost.com ). In my opinion, it's the best guide to the drive.

If possible, leave time in your schedule to visit the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center at Portage.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seward questions

I am so getting the milepost. I looked into it and will help a lot with our trip.

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions!

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seward questions

It's an easy drive, and a beautiful one. Speed limit is generally 55 or 65 mph. Not all the pull-off points have restrooms, so plan ahead for that. As you get closer to Seward the speed slows down and you are in the forest, and the road gets windy, but it's an easy drive. It's interesting that you will go through several avalanche areas, but you don't know you're in one until you're leaving it. But if you look up the mountain you're driving by, you can see where the avalanches fall, and imagine what it's like in the winter.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seward questions

I never even noticed an elevation gain on the road from Anchorage to Seward, to be honest.

As far as shoes in Exit Glacier, I am not sure what type of shoes you refer to but I advised sneakers or hiking boots, mainly because if it is raining, like it was the day we were there, the trail was quite wet, muddy in spots and lots of puddles..the rocks were slick as well.