We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ice climbing on Exit with guides

Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
ice climbing on Exit with guides

We're taking our 17 year old grandson to Alaska next month. He's very fit and athletic and wants to ice climb with Exit Glacier Guides. I think it looks fantastic BUT I want to know how safe it is. Does anyone have experience with them or even from that area (Seward) and know their history ?

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ice climbing on Exit with guides

You should call Exit Glacier Guides and talk with them about your concerns. This company has a great reputation, professional guides and I have nothing but positive experiences with them. I would go with them again at any time for any activity. Like with any activities there is always some risk involved. He needs to follow instruction very closely. Ice climbing and 17 year old athletic and fit are great combinations. I would suggest the longest and the most demanding trip for him. I bet he will never forget this experience. Make certain he, his companions and guides will take plenty of photos and perhaps video. Lucky him!

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60873-d10…

Edited: 16 July 2012, 20:23
Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ice climbing on Exit with guides

Just what I was hoping to hear. Thank you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ice climbing on Exit with guides

This was the highlight of our trip! We always felt safe with them. Definitely do it!

Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ice climbing on Exit with guides

We're convinced. Thanks.

san jose, ca
Level Contributor
185 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ice climbing on Exit with guides

If you want to do more, try Mica guides at Matnuska valley. We as a family if 4 with 17 & 19 yr old kids did a Ice Float Hike with Mica guides. It was really fun and the guides were excellent. Highly recommend it.

Georgia
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ice climbing on Exit with guides

How athletic do you have to be to do the climb? We will be in Seward in June and plan to book a helicopter tour with Exit Glacier Guides, not sure which one.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ice climbing on Exit with guides

<How athletic do you have to be to do the climb? >>

You need to call Exit Glacier Guides and ask this question. As to which tour YOU need to decide. I enjoyed every tour we took with them including a helicopter tour. Read reviews of this company to get more detail but at first call the company and ask many questions.

8. Re: ice climbing on Exit with guides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2013, 10:17