We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seward to Vancouver or vise versa

australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Seward to Vancouver or vise versa

Planning an Alaska cruise from Seward to Vancouver or Vancouver to Seward in Mid to late June 2013. Will have return flights to Vancouver from Australia ( wife and I ) and wondering what would be a good way to get from one to the other in the short time of 5 to 8 days. have not been to either place and would like to see as much as we can as the timeframe allows us. Have seen some places that have small Kayaking tours which we like but not a must unless any in particular is a must do. Love great views of country side, Pubs , cafes, restaurants and old architecture.

( old in Aussie is 200 years )

Thanks to anyone in advance, any ideas welcome.

Paul and Deb

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
19,369 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seward to Vancouver or vise versa

G'day Paul and Deb, and welcome to the Alaska forum.

Your post is a bit unclear to me. Are you asking about 5 to 8 days pre or post cruise to travel between the two locations? Cruises between the two are 7 days. If what you are seeking is advice on a land trip between the two locations your choices are almost non existent - there is no easy link. I think that there is a coach tour from Anchorage to Whitehorse YT but cannot seem to locate such now.

If you are intent on a one-way cruise then you should plan to spend the extra time in south central Alaska and do the alternative trip to the cruise by air. Another option, and one that we did a few years ago, could be to do a round trip cruise from Vancouver and to spend the additional time in BC and the Canadian Rockies, but our eldest daughter lives in Calgary so we really had no alternative.

If you go to the parent Alaska forum, one step back from this forum, the Top Questions at the top right of screen has an item providing lots of information on Alaska cruises which should be compulsory reading.

How old do you think Alaska is architecture wise?

Edited: 24 October 2012, 09:54
Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Canadian Rockies
Canadian Rockies
Alberta, Canada
Bridgewater
Level Contributor
799 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Seward to Vancouver or vise versa

I would think the Oscar Gill house is the oldest building in Anchroage. Built in 1913, I think.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seward to Vancouver or vise versa

There are structures in Alaska much older than from 1913, the old Russian churches are some examples. But, further back than 1812 would during the times Alaska belonged to Russia

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seward to Vancouver or vise versa

G'day Frommy, thanks for the quick reply.

First of I have to apologize as I usually plan and book my holidays from reading these forums without needing to ask questions, don't know why I jumped in early.

I guess my only concern was with the return cruise if I would miss out on some of the sights in relation to the one way cruise.

Have had a look on the Alaska forum and have found some good info already and will study up more on the week end.

My 5-8 day layover is pre or post cruise,and the Canadian rockies does sound great, guess I thought I would see as much of Alaska as I can incase I don't get back.

Again thanks for your time

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
19,369 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seward to Vancouver or vise versa

Life is all about choices, and you cannot see it all. I will reply in more detail from home this evening rather than here from work now at lunch time.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
19,369 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seward to Vancouver or vise versa

G'day again Paul,

When I started on TA I was the same as you - reading/researching, and rarely asking any questions. However, while those factors are still very important, and we love people who have done their homework, never be afraid to ask a question. Otherwise we would not get paid the huge amounts by TA that we do for answering them (in our dreams). :o)

Lets put some perspective on your thoughts. First let me say that I have never visited south central Alaska, so can only observe what I have read from others on this forum over many years. The three alternatives on the table are all quite different IMO, and would all be equally great. These are my thoughts, and obviously based on my personal experiences and opinions:

Canadian Rockies - great to do self drive depending on available time, wonderful scenery, good wildlife spotting possible, great hiking opportunities, convenient as a round trip from Vancouver to link with a cruise. See the Alberta or BC forum for information.

Cruise - the south east panhandle for very different scenery in reasonably inaccessible regions except by sea or air, very different scenery and some wonderful, though expensive, things to do in the main ports of call. The cruise industry has ruined the nature of the dockside regions of some lovely towns, but get outside of the towns and it is a different world. A cruise should be considered as a very comfortable floating hotel taking you to a different place each day.

South central - as said no experience, but lots of great scenery, Denali NP, wildlife, wilderness, things to do, self drive.

Again IMO, if considering a cruise, there is not much difference between a one-way and a round trip as both call at mostly the same ports, if the right choice of line is made for the best itinerary. Again, choices. A O/W is great for spending time on the ground in south central, but then requires a flight back to Vancouver, with all but one flight per day from Anchorage going to Seattle (I think), or in reverse depending on your choice. I would love to do south central one day, but SWMBO is the controller of finances and needs to see our daughter every few years.

I truly loved the Canadian Rockies and the R/T cruise experience., I would not hesitate to take the opportunity if offered to spend time on the ground in south central AK, nor would I forgo the opportunity to again visit the Rockies. In my mind is is down to a coin toss for you.

None of us advising on the forums can say what would be best for you, sorry mate. Research needed, but do not hesitate to ask questions on any of the forums for areas under consideration, and please go to Top Questions where often many trip reports are posted.

Happy planning.

Frommy

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Canadian Rockies
Canadian Rockies
Alberta, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Seward to Vancouver or vise versa

Frommy, thanks again for the time and trouble you have put in to help out.

Looks like I have a few weeks of research and planning to do, although that is half the fun.

But let me say that with people like yourself it certainly makes it easier for people like me, keep up the great work.

Cheers Paul

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seward to Vancouver or vise versa

Hey Paul - the problem is - if you start looking into spending 5-8 days in Alaska, you'll just find you have so many things you want to do that you WILL extend your timeframe. We were intially looking at 5-7 days pre Canada and ended up 10 days South Central AK with a 7 day cruise & saved Canada for another trip :) Some good resources:

www.alaska.org.

www.travelalaska.com

to get you started :)

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Seward to Vancouver or vise versa

Hey Tdz, thanks for the site , looks good, more research.

If you don't mind me asking, did you do a return cruise or one way and what did you think of it and your best places you saw in Central AK.

I can extend our time but my Wife's work doesnt like her to take to much time in one hit. ( to bad I say )

Thanks again for the site

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Central
Central
Alaska
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seward to Vancouver or vise versa

We flew from Sydney to Anchorage via Honolulu, did 10 days self drive in South Central (Whittier, Homer, Talkeetna, Seward) then 7 night southbound cruise on Radiance of the Seas. Flew from Vancouver to Sydney via LA.

See my trip reports here:

crhttp://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k5680412-Trip_Report_Self_drive_Pre_Cruise_Land_Tour_July_2012-Alaska.htmluise.

tripadvisor.com.au/…43005451

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g31163-i10430-k…

We just figured that Alaska would be a once in a lifetime destination and we wanted to make the most of it while we were there and certainly finish off by seeing the South East. Turned out a cruise was the most time effective way to do that. As it is now, we are seriously considering going back again..... :):)

We wanted to cram so much in but worked out we would be spending too much time driving and not enough time "doing" so we picked out the "key" things we wanted to concentrate on then planned our trip around that - skipping a few of the Alaska favourites in order to do some more specific things. In hindsight, I would fly into Fairbanks and drive south to Seward via Denali, Talkeetna, Palmer, Whittier, Cooper Landing (Homer only if you have time). Certainly would recommend a cruise that goes to Hubbard glacier & Icy Straight Point however could easily have skipped Juneau & Ketchikan - they are just towns really. Would LOVE to do an Alaska Dream Cruise.

Edited: 26 October 2012, 23:45
Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Alaska