We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska SeaLife or Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Alaska SeaLife or Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center?

Over the course of 3 days, we will be driving from Anchorage to Seward, spending a day with Alaska Saltwater on a small group glacier tour and then driving back north.

Obviously, we can't do everything.. so which would you choose the SeaLife Center or the Conservation Center?

Planning on several scenic stops on the way down- the usual pulloffs and stops including Potter's Marsh and Exit Glacier as the two that I see spending substantial time.

(We will be continuing to Palmer and Denali from there) thanks.

Sturgeon
Level Contributor
530 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska SeaLife or Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center?

We plan on Conservation Center on the way down and then Sealife late afternoon or early morning on the way back. We will have the same time frame as you will in Seward and hope to do both

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,090 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska SeaLife or Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center?

Don't know why you can't do both.......Plan on spending a couple hours at the Wildlife Conservation Center........stop there on your way down to Seward and then do the Sealife Center later that day,,,,,,or if you arrive too late that first day, do your Alaska Saltwater glacier tour on the second day and then visit the Sealife Center before you leave Seward on your third day........

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska SeaLife or Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center?

I honestly think you could have time for both. You can drive through or get out and walk at The Wildlife Conservation Center. You should visit the WCC on your way south. The Sealife Center will take a couple hours and can be done in an afternoon or morning. I would be hard pressed to make a decision between the two.

Not knowing your entire itinerary makes it tough to say which you would have better time for.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska SeaLife or Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center?

This is what I have so far......

July 6- Arrive- night in Anc @ B&B

July 7-Leave after breakfast. Drive to Seward (sightseeing our way down)

July 8- Glacier Tour 8:00 am- 4:30

July 9- Drive to Palmer (Native Heritage Center; considering Knik Glacier tour at 2:00 PM)

(will save rest of itinerary for appropriate forum) :)

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska SeaLife or Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center?

I'm finding your responses reassuring. ;) My husband thinks that I over schedule.. Just want to be careful not to do TOO much and wear him out the first few days.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska SeaLife or Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center?

This is the appropriate forum for your entire itinerary, if you would like advice please post it here and keep it all in one thread.

You will have time on your way south for the WCC and SeaLife Center. On your way north or after your tour you can visit Exit Glacier.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaska SeaLife or Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center?

Figure 2.5 hours of actual driving to get from Anchorage to Seward. Let's say you leave Anchorage around 9 am, spend 45 minutes or 1 hour at Potter Marsh. Another 1-1.5 hours at Portage Glacier another hour at WCC, then stop for lunch around Summit Lake. You will get to Seward by early afternoon even with an hour or two built in for scenic stops. You could visit Exit Glacier or SeaLife Center on this evening. Then next day cruise and walk around town. On your departure day you could visit the SeaLife Center (open @ 9am) or Exit Glacier (always open). The drive to Palmer would take about 3 hours from Seward.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alaska SeaLife or Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center?

thank you...

ok.. to continue...

July 9/10 Palmer. (Knik Glacier, Hatcher Pass, Independence Mine, Musk Ox and reindeer Farms)

July 11 Drive to Healy- Night in Healy at Alaska Spuce Cabins (not sure of the day's activities)

July 12,13,14 North Face Lodge - Denali.

July 15th- leave Denali in Afternoon Drive to Willow. Canoeing at the B&B

July 16th Dream a Dream Kennel Tours Drive back to Anchorage

July 17th- day in ANC

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alaska SeaLife or Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center?

Your itinerary looks very doable and not rushed at all. You are very lucky to be spending time deep in the park.

On your way north to Denali you can stop in Talkeetna and take a walk/have lunch. Some other stops I would recommend would be. Byers Lake, Veteran's Memorial, South Denali Viewpoint and North Denali Viewpoint. Stop at the Denali National Park Visitor Center on your way by if you have time on this day, you may also want to visit the dog kennels on this day depending on timing.

On a clear day I have always enjoyed stopping at The McKinley Princess Lodge in Trapper Creek for a cup of coffee or drink on their deck, they have great views of the mountain if it is out.

I would plan to visit The Native Heritage Center on your last day in Anchorage so that you have a bit more time for the drive north on July 9.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alaska SeaLife or Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center?

Thanks for the advice. I considered scheduling the Native Heritage Center last, but there is an artist in residence sharing stories of Native Alaska. Thought that it would make sense going there with some perspective.

"In the first evening program, Jack will share stories from a variety of Alaska’s indigenous cultures. The next evening, he’ll take guests on an engaging journey through the history of the 11 different Native cultures of Alaska, integrating stories from the evening before and drawing upon his gift of captivating storytelling."