We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish fry in Seward

WV
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Fish fry in Seward

A group of us are planning a trip the end of May. While the major part of our group does the 'tourist thing' to Denali, the four of us who have 'been there, done that' are planning on renting a car and doing a little exploring on our own. We plan to do some fishing in Seward (Who do you recommend?), maybe rent a boat like I read on another post (need a coupon!), and want to fix some of our catch for our friends when they arrive off the train.

My main question is: Where could we have a fish fry for 26 people?? Weather permitting, outside is fine. We like to cook, but we need a place.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fish fry in Seward

What lodging do you have for the 26 of you? Some places will have BBQ grills.

I think I remember BBQ grills & a pavillion at the city waterfront park. Our local expert glacierlady might know for sure, or contact the city of Seward parks & rec department.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
WV
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fish fry in Seward

The four of us are staying at the Best Western. We meet the others from the train, visit the Seaveys and Exit Glacier, then head for the ship. I just thought fixing some of our fish would help by feeding the crew and using some of the fish. I hate to pay the price of shipping it home when we have more traveling to do [much less the expense!]

Mentioned in this post
Exit Glacier
Exit Glacier
670 Reviews
Kenai Fjords National Park, AK
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fish fry in Seward

Another option is in Anchorage to buy several of those cheap, disposable charcoal grills. There are several brands, but this is the idea:

http://www.ezgrill.com/

Then you can pick a picnic spot at picnic tables along the park.

Mentioned in this post
seward
Level Contributor
692 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fish fry in Seward

Denalicat is spot on with his pavillion idea. It is a covered area and only about 100-200 yards from your hotel. As said before a couple of cheap grills and you have it made. Be aware that prices in Seward are a little higher than Anchorage. Example: Gas is 50 cents per gal. more here in Seward than Anchorage. Advice on the boat: Find a local Capt. with a Charter Boat and book a combo trip. Price should be around 250.00-275.00. Check to make sure there is or is not a fuel surcharge. With 4 of you fishing you should have plenty of fish for everybody. If you want suggestions on who to go with let me know (we all have our favorites) lol

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fish fry in Seward

Yes... the pavillion is great, but you need to reserve it http://www.cityofseward.us/index.aspx?NID=864 or risk the chance it's not available. It does have very, nice large grills even with venting in it, so all you need is charcoal.. very nice!

I'm wondering how you are getting 26 people to Exit Glacier and Ididaride?

I'll take any excess fish!! Apollo's will cook it for you also.

Mentioned in this post
Exit Glacier
Exit Glacier
670 Reviews
Kenai Fjords National Park, AK
WV
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fish fry in Seward

The more the merrier; all of you giving free advice and answering questions all the time are more than welcome. You can come cook if you like :)

Thank you SO much. I did look for such a place, but hadn't found it yet. I'll get right on to booking it!

BoatAK: I would LOVE to know your favorite captains. I am most interested in halibut, since we are not salmon eater (Around here, we eat more trout and bass, but there is nothing as good as a fresh crappie fry!)

We will be there the end of May; I thought salmon fishing was basically a little later.

Thanks again!

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,132 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fish fry in Seward

Please don't ruin your halibut by frying it !......Just grill it.....brush it with a little garlic butter, salt, coarse ground pepper and dill as it cooks.....and it should be wonderful !...

Ask your captain if you can also put out a few crab pots (traps).....dungeness crab and halibut, a feast for kings.......just add salad and sourdough french bread and you're all set......

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fish fry in Seward

My nephew brought me ling cod & rockfish along with halibut from his Seward fishing charter. Those were delicious too!

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fish fry in Seward

The pavillion already mentioned is named Branson. There is also another less known area called Two Lakes behind the Avtec building off 2nd street. It also has a small grill and tables, hiking trails and a beautiful little lake stocked with fish. You could take your chance and not reserve this one ahead. It worked great for my daughter's wedding!

The end of May might have some King Salmon around.

What date and time is dinner? Finding your group in my small town won't be a problem. haahaa

Anchorage Alaska
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fish fry in Seward

Beer batter Halibut is really good!

food.com/recipe/beer-batter-halibut-200996

Edited: 16 March 2013, 18:39