We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish fry in Seward

WV
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Fish fry in Seward

A group of us are planning a trip the end of May. While the major part of our group does the 'tourist thing' to Denali, the four of us who have 'been there, done that' are planning on renting a car and doing a little exploring on our own. We plan to do some fishing in Seward (Who do you recommend?), maybe rent a boat like I read on another post (need a coupon!), and want to fix some of our catch for our friends when they arrive off the train.

My main question is: Where could we have a fish fry for 26 people?? Weather permitting, outside is fine. We like to cook, but we need a place.

WV
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Fish fry in Seward

You are making me hungry for fish! YUM Everything you described sounds delicious. I was wondering how to fix it, mombear. Do you know a captain that would let us put out crab pots? Will you join us for lunch??

You are more than welcome to join us as well, glacierlady! I am thankful for all the help you destination experts give us. AND I'm sure we will have plenty of fish.

So excited to see Seward again and explore new areas around the town!

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Fish fry in Seward

Beer battered halibut is wonderful, but it would certainly be a pain to cook on a barbeque.......so the results might not be as good as it should be.......if you see it on a menu and it is fresh, then yes, I wouldn't hesitate to order it.......

Thanks for the invite WV Traveler, but it would take two long, long days of travel to reach Seward......sounds like your bunch will have a great time, though !...

WV
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Fish fry in Seward

I see you are from Haines. I hadn't noticed before. Sorry. What would you suggest for our day in Haines? Some of our bus group want to fish; could you recommend a boat?

We thought about renting a car to do some exploring and check out the lake area. We're not into cruise excursions or lots of shopping. We're coming to Alaska for as much non-commercialized exploring as possible. Haines is new to all, even though six of us have visited Alaska before.

We arrive in Haines on Wednesday. I promise to quit bugging you after this :)

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Fish fry in Seward

I think you really get more bang for your buck by renting a car in any port......Haines and Skagway are especially worthwhile because they actually have roads that connect somewhere and the highway does not dead end........

Don't know your dates, but if you are here in Mid July to September, you will have an excellent chance of seeing bears out at Chilkoot Lake and Chilkoot River........great shore and fly fishing for salmon out there, too.... A rental car can get you to several different trails to explore, as well.......there are three museums in town, as well......

If any of your group is interested in animals, you might want to visit Steve Kroschel's Animal Preserve.....ask at the Visitors Center for tickets, if there is a cruise ship in town that day this tour is only available to them.......with a car it would cost you less, since you could drive up to his place and not need the bus trip out there....

This website may give you some ideas...... http://www.haines.ak.us/

you say your "bus group".....are doing a road trip ?.....Could you post your itinerary ?......It seems like something that could be very helpful to others.......

seward
Level Contributor
473 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Fish fry in Seward

Hey WVtraveler, Sorry to take so long to respond. The day here was outstanding. Brilliant sunshine, 32F. Had to spend it outside!! So, my choice for local Fishing Captains. First would be Mike Miller. He is the owner of Millers Landing There is nothing he does not know about fishing. Second would be his son Chance Miller. Born here, been running around in boats since he was a little kid. Third would be Dustin at Millers Landing. He was Mikes deckhand for years. Chance and Dustin are also outstanding fisherman. I also like Just in Time Charters. Justin (the owner) is a local who grew up here snagging salmon as a little kid and does a great job getting ppl. on the fish. With 4 ppl. I would urge you to call right away. You should be able to get some good meat. Think of your trip as a trip to Gods fridge! I also would urge you to keep the rock fish, snapper, black bass,salmon, as well as butt (halibut). They are all REALLY good tasting on the BBQ. Let me know if I can help you out in any other "local knowledge". BoatAk

Seward, Alaska
Level Contributor
212 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Fish fry in Seward

Another Idea, would be to get a campsite even if you do not camp and use this area....at the Forest Acre City Camp Ground, get the grills, there is tons of room, restroom, Safeway and 3 Bears right down the street....trees and shade.....or shelter if rain....I think it is possible and you can even have a camp fire....too!

Rick Adventure Sixty North

17. Re: Fish fry in Seward

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 05:16