We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Boston...
Level Contributor
283 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking in Seward

My husband and I will be in Seward in July arriving by train at 11:00 and leaving for our cruise at 8:00. Because of the timing, we want to do a 4 hour Kayak trip and need some advice. We are advance kayakers and not interested in eating but kayaking and seeing the beautiful scenery and nature and wildlife. I have looked into everything...Sunny Cove has aLowell Pt and Tonsina .I guess that is in Resurrection Bay. How is kayaking in Resurrenction Bay? I looked into taking a

cruise through the bay with Major M. but decided we wanted to do Kayaking. I also looked into KAW that has Tonsina Point and Adventures 60N. I can actually walk to Tonsina Point from downtown Seward. Now I will get to my point. I have looked in Miller Landing COmpany and they have the perfect trip for us...time and location but they have gotten some terrible reviews on this site and some ok where all the other companies get glowing reviews. We could take a boat taxi...which would be like a boat ride out out Humpty's cove and they do 3 hours of kayaking there. The timing is perfect and Humpty cove gets us a abit furthur out. I am very

nervous about Miller Landing as a company and I need some advice about going to Humpty Cove and Mystical ORca Island. SHould I just do the Resurrection Bay or get through out and do the Humpty Cove and Mystical Orca Island with a company that has some bad reviews?

Thanks so much

seward
Level Contributor
477 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking in Seward

Hi, I know that they have gotten both good and bad reviews. Regardless, I would take the kayak trip. I would go to Thumbs Cove and maybe paddle to Humpy Cove. Thumbs Cove is so pretty with the 3 hanging glaciers. You would really like it. The boat ride is nice. It is a good trip for the amount of time you have. Boat Ak.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking in Seward

Miller's Landing has been around for a very long time... If they have what you want then go for it. I think the other companies really push alot more for good reviews (and have a few I'm skeptical about)

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking in Seward

Wow.. Boat! Great minds think and show up at the same time...LOL ;)

Boston...
Level Contributor
283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking in Seward

Thank you everyone. I really do like the idea of the boat ride and then kayak ride...I am sometimes in conflict about not taking out the major M cruise boat for 6 hours...but like I said we want to kayak more than just ride a boat and have a buffet down below.. what I would love to do is do a whole day and get real near a glacier but I guess I will have to wait for another trip for that. Off another topic...have you two ever been to Matanuska Glacier is it worth going there and going out on a hike there? Would that be similar to Exit glacier...'

Thanks

seward
Level Contributor
477 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayaking in Seward

Hi, I have never been to the Mat-Su Glacier. Been by it and it looks cool. Good reviews. I have visited Exit Glacier a couple of hundred times. No joke. What I like about Exit is the variety. You can do the "Toe" walk at low water. Drink from the glacier the best water you will EVER have. You can look for hard rock gold. That I know of 4 times last year it was found. You can look under the glacier. You can step on it. Be careful!!! At times you can see Bear or Moose crossing the flood plain. You can do the Harding Ice-field Trail. Bring your lunch!! Lots of animals up the trail. Pretty cool to look out at the ice-field. 1500 feet or so of ice below you when you step out on it. How many times in your life have you stood on an ice cube 1500 ft. thick. Remember.... every 1000 ft. you go up you move plant wise etc. 150 to 180 miles north. Pretty cool in my book. All of this... 15 minutes or so to the trail head from you hotel or cabin. KFP rocks!!! Boat Ak

seward
Level Contributor
477 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kayaking in Seward

I am a pale imitation of you GL!!! lol

7. Re: Kayaking in Seward

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 05:18