We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking or hiking

Boston...
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking or hiking

Hi

I will be in Seward for one day before our cruise. we will just have come from a guided hike on Matanuska Glacier. I am having a hard time deciding if we should do a hike on Exit Glacier and try to get to Harding field in 5 hours or do a 3 hour kayak trip to Humpy Cove to see wild life that includes a short taxi ride to the cove. We have decided not to do major tour..do you think that is a mistake and we will not see wild life on our cruise to Glacier Bay. DO you think that we will not see the Glacier on our cruise like we would on a boat ride.

Thanks so much

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,262 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking or hiking

Cruise boats can't get that close, so yes, I do think you will miss both glaciers and the wildlife that is closer to shore - I personally wouldn't miss a boat tour into Kenai Fjords - it really is a highlight there and I would choose that over hiking a glacier any day. But again, that is just my opinion. :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking or hiking

We really do love to kayak and feel more active in our experience. Do you think that a 3 hour kayak trip to Humpy Cove to see wild life that includes a short taxi ride to the cove would be good I understand it would not see a glacier, but we are arriving in Seward at 11:00 by train and the all day cuises to see the glaciers start at 8.

Thanks so much

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,262 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking or hiking

I haven't kayaked there, but I think it would be an amazing experience! :)

4. Re: Kayaking or hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 05:17