We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to meet

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Place to meet

We arrive in Seward on a Holland America cruise ship very early in the a.m. I believe we can stay in the public areas of the ship until around 10 a.m. We are meeting some friends who are flying into Anchorage. They will be in Seward around 2:00 in a rental car. Can anyone suggest a good spot for us to have lunch and hang out until we meet up?

Many thanks.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,433 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to meet

Personally I would not be hanging out on the ship on disembarkation day. Where are you staying that evening? I would try to head there when you get off the ship and leave your luggage even though you can't check in that early. Then figure out what you might want to do that the friends might not be interested in - Exit Glacier? Sealife Center? Hiking? Something else? Spend a couple of hours doing that and have lunch somewhere in town. Lots of places to eat in Seward. Will you all be taking a Kenai Fjords tour before you leave Seward? If not, then I would aim for an 8am Kenai Fjords tour which gets back to Seward at 2pm. The tour company will store your luggage during the trip.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to meet

Our main issue is that we will be lugging all our stuff for two more weeks in Alaska. We are doing the fjord cruise with our friends.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,433 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to meet

Luggage shouldn't be an issue - leave it at the place you are staying the night you disembark from the ship (bringing it there when you disembark as I mentioned above). Then do something and eat before you meet your friends.

Another tip with luggage - don't lug all your stuff into each lodging establishment. Leave your luggage in the car and only put a few things you will need for each night in a day pack that you bring into your lodging. Saves a lot of time and effort that way. Once a week you might need to bring everything in to reorganize, do laundry, etc. But no need to be dragging all your luggage around especially when you have a rental car.

Edited: 18 June 2013, 19:03
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to meet

We are staying in a cabin and will need the car to get there so your solution is unfortunately not an option. Four nights in a cabin and then 10 days in an RV. What fun! I think I will just pick a restaurant for lunch and see if they have a spare spot for the luggage. We don't have that much. I think what I really need is a recommendation for a restaurant that is close by the dock.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to meet

I agree with not hanging around the cruise ship dock when you could be out exploring Seward. There are taxis that could bring you to your cabin to drop off luggage. Holiday Inn will store bags for $2 each. Sealife Center and the new museum in the library are 2 easy things to see while waiting, both downtown. Lots of restaurants in 2 different areas. What do you like to eat?

6. Re: Place to meet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 06:17