We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bushwack onto EXIT?

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
25 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Bushwack onto EXIT?

My research indicates that only Exit Guided Tours can get us onto the Exit glacier. Is that because the glacier is privately owned and they have an arrangement? I understand the reasons to keep things controlled and if everyone did what they wanted people would get hurt and there would be garbage everywhere. But we have our own crampons, GPS, bear spray, and sense of adventure. What would happen if we started up EGT's trail? Are there any "private" trails that can be used to get us onto the glacier? I don't have anything against EGTs, but what about some yokel who wants $100 to guide us up a hidden trail? Is there absolutely positively no other way to walk on it other than through EGTs?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bushwack onto EXIT?

I would love it if you could reference through links where you saw that Exit Glacier Guides (is that what you mean by Exit Glacier Tours?) have their own trails and that only they can get you onto Exit Glacier. I am pretty sure you are reading misinformation.

If you are comfortable hiking on your own with crampons and preferably have some experience, you can certainly get onto the glacier on your own. EGG don't have any private trails or exclusive access to certain trails. The main thing is that you can't access Exit Glacier from the toe of the glacier. You need to hike up the Harding Icefield Trail then find the route onto the glacier that way. It might be tricky finding a safe route onto the glacier.

I assume you are also aware that glacier hiking can be dangerous, glacier ice moves and is often unstable, there can be crevasses that are covered by snow or melting ice, etc. If you are aware of those conditions and still feel comfortable you can go ahead and try it. I think Matanuska Glacier is a bit more accessible than Exit Glacier for unguided hiking if you will be in that area north and east of Anchorage.

In any case, nothing private about the route that Exit Glacier Guides uses. I think though that they are the only concessionaire for guided hikes onto the glacier. This is a permitting process that has more to do with the NPS than anything.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,381 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bushwack onto EXIT?

Great answer FTI. You can hike at your own risk. The trails are well marked. The park rangers lead a FREE hike up to the Harding Ice Field on Saturdays at 9am. I'm sure they could help you with access spots.

3. Re: Bushwack onto EXIT?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 06:19