We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

orcas on cruises

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
orcas on cruises

Are a lot of orcas still around in early july. My wife wants to be there when there are a lot. Most sites say April to September you can see them, and one or two sites I came across says May to early June. If we go in early July will she still see several orcas around on the cruises, or would it be better to travel in May or June?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: orcas on cruises

We saw a small group of two in early September 2010 in Cook's Inlet returning to Ninilchik on a fishing charter.

Sturgeon
Level Contributor
529 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: orcas on cruises

On our early/mid June trip we saw them on Kenai fjords trip out of Seward, large pod which fed within 10 feet of the boat (including young ones), out of Whittier, several pods from the cruise ship including 2 large pods on the way into Glacier bay. Also several on whale watching trip in Juneau, Auke bay. Can't offer suggestions for July, but thought you'd like to hear a June experience. Beautiful animals!

Edited: 10 August 2013, 21:36
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,667 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: orcas on cruises

If Orca sightings are a must then I would recommend doing so out of Victoria or Vancouver where sightings are almost 100%. There are two resident pods in that region. Orcas are not that frequently spotted from a cruise ship, and if so, they are very likely to be at a distance and the ship will not slow or deviate for a closer look at them.

4. Re: orcas on cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 05:17