We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seward to Whittier

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Windham, Ohio
Level Contributor
127 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Seward to Whittier

There has been a lot posted about the difficulty of traveling by train or bus between these locations. Can it be done by car? It would save about 96 miles. At this point I am planning to stay in Seward for two nights. I would then like to drive to Whittier. Is it possible, without going to Anchorage? It looks like it. How long will it take? I would like to take a cruise in Prince William sound & then head towards Anchorage. Want to see the Wildlife Sanctuary at some point in our travels. Should I consider taking the cruise at Portage Glacier when I am taking cruises at Seward & Whittier? Where would be a good place to stop for the night between Whittier & Anchorage? Thanks for your help!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,310 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Seward to Whittier

>>once I get to Denali there is little I can do if the busses are not accessible. What I have read has led me to believe that they are not.

I have no idea where you got your information but it is incorrect. Most though not all shuttle buses in Denali are accessible. The accessible ones are marked on the schedule and are indicated when you book.

You will get off the bus at Eielson (4 hours into the park) for at least 1/2 hour. Other stops are briefer unless you go to Wonder Lake (not suggested since it adds another 3 hours to the trip).

Edited: 14 October 2013, 23:52
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Seward to Whittier

It might help to attach previous recommendations here for others to see what has already been suggested:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k68927…

Ann, to answer your last unanswered question on your last thread

"Does anyone have suggestions for the Seward-Kenai-Homer area? Would like to see glaciers, sea life, stay in a facility with few if any steps."

You might want to check out Holiday Inn Express in Seward.

You might consider renting a wheelchair in Anchorage for easier assessibility.

Windham, Ohio
Level Contributor
127 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Seward to Whittier

Do you know how many steps to board the train & how high they are? Although the regular trains are ADA accessible, I have not seen any indication that this one is. I have not been on this type of train since they were originally in use.

Windham, Ohio
Level Contributor
127 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Seward to Whittier

My friend has heart problems & I am heavy so unless I could rent a power chair it would not work to rent a hair. I will be taking a rollator that converts to a transport chair. It is a walker with a seat & wheels. Do not want to use the transport part unless in an emergency & someone else is available o push it. I use a rollator occasionally now ie. shopping or places where I might have to stand. It is a great help.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Seward to Whittier

as I suggested in a previous post, you should contact the vendors regarding accessibility specifics for the trains and buses. The train is Alaska Railroad www.alaskarailroad.com and the Denali NP Park web site is down but you'll find contact info on their Reservation site http://www.reservedenali.com

I've only taken 2 flights on small planes and both were a little awkward to enter. I'm sure it depends on the aircraft but in both instances we climbed several steps to reach the door, then we had to bend over to step thru the short doorway and remain bent over to reach our seats. The cabins were not tall so we had to remain in a crouched position to move around when we got inside.

16. Re: Seward to Whittier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2014, 06:19