We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

make car-rental reservation early!

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Downingtown...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
make car-rental reservation early!

I will be doing to Alaska from July 10 to July 20, 2007. I was fooling around and try to make my car reservation now. Much to my surprise Hertz reservation center would already accept my reservation. I was able to rent a compact Ford focus for the 10 days at $439.35.

A10-day rental for the same car to rent July 17 to July 27, 2006 the rental price was $1531. If you can figure out your plans well in advance, it pays to shop early.

Southern Outerbanks...
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: make car-rental reservation early!

That reservation does not guarantee the rate...only car availability. Hertz does not guarantee a rate more than 6 months out. Last October 2005 I thought I had reserved an Explorer for 3 weeks in Aug 2006 at a "Total Approx. Charges: 1090.90" clearly stated in the confirmation email. When checking my reservation online in June, I noticed the Total Approx Charges: were now listed at $2,326.

I called everybody I could at Hertz to complain and only got very surly responses that I should learn to read more carefully...the original confirmation said somewhere in it "...rate is subject to change..." Six months prior to my rental date they changed my "base" weekly rate from $260 to $595 per week.

They do not even notify you of the rate change. You have to look for it online, or just be shocked when you try to get your rental car.

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: make car-rental reservation early!

Thank you for the update. I would have been caught in the same trap. I deeply appreciate your letting me know!!! GW19335

Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: make car-rental reservation early!

We made reservations in June 2006 with Enterprise Rent A Car near the Anchorage terminal (we try to avoid renting from the terminal location, whenever possible due to the huge upcharge) for Aug 2006.

We have a Chevy Cobalt for 8 days at $316 total, taxes included. Hopefully it's all as it appears.

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: make car-rental reservation early!

Jdehaan, I would appreciate your letting me know if they lived up to their agreement. Thank you, GW19335

atlanta
Level Contributor
117 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: make car-rental reservation early!

We have an Avis rental for the last 2 weeks of August. After reading this post yesterday I called them in a panic since the emailed confirmation made no mention of a rate guarantee or possible change. Avis confirmed that the rate I booked in October, 2005 was guaranteed and that was the rate I would be charged. We got a rate, including tax, of $528.00 for an 11 day rental of an intermediate size car. This is picking up at the downtown Anchorage location and returning to the Airport.

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: make car-rental reservation early!

If you are planning to drive the Denali Highway don't rent from Hertz, Avis or Alamo. None of these companies allow you to drive on anything but paved highways. National says they have no restrictions but their cars are a lot more expensive.

UPDATE: my confirmation from Hertz did allow them to change my base rate. However, they asked, in the confirmation, if you wanted to upgrade to express checkout. If you choose this option your rates become guaranteed. It does not cost you anything but you do have to give them a lot more information about yourself. When I discovered I wasn't allowed to drive the Denali Highway from Paxson, I added two more days to my trip so that I could drive to Fairbanks. Since I joined their number one club my rate is guaranteed at $186 a week for a compact car..

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: make car-rental reservation early!

Interesting thread - definitely good advice here.

I just checked my reservation with Dollar for a minivan for 14 days, which I made back on 3/30, to be picked up this Monday 7/17. They are still showing the base rate of $442 per week, and total estimated charges of $1252.04, exactly as quoted back in March. So hopefully they will stick with that when I show up to pick up the car.

Michigan
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: make car-rental reservation early!

I just verified my Hertz, which was only $346 for one week of a SUV (Aug 25-Sep 1), which I originally got on 10/09/05. They still show the rate I was quoted, but I do have a backup of National of $442 if something happens.

I have double-booked all of my rentals, JUST IN CASE, except the one way from Anchorage to Seward. I figure since it's only for one day, it CAN'T get too much worse than it already is.

Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: make car-rental reservation early!

GW, we are back from our vacation, had a great time. We had no problem with our car rental, priced as quoted. Our friend had picked us up at the airport when we arrived in Alaska, so unsure about if there is a cost to get to the rental location. We did pay an extra $40 to drop the car off at the airport. Cab would have been about $20 according to the rental agent. Have a great trip.

maryland
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: make car-rental reservation early!

Hi,

We recently returned from our trip. We rented a car from Thrifty at the location away from the airport. We saved several hundred dollars off of a one week rental by renting off airport. The location turned out to be only a 3 min. ride from the airport anyway. They picked us up at our hotel ( the hotel had a free van from the airport). Not only that, when we were delayed by a day and had to change our reservation they just lowered the price by one days rental. Other companies want to cancel and renegociate a new rate at the last minute price. The people in the office and the van drivers could not have been nicer. Check off airport locations...I think you will be happy.