We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seward 4th of July

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Seward 4th of July

Fourth of July in Seward - we plan to attend Mount Marathon, take a Fjord Cruise and visit Exit Glacier. Is it better to stay in the town of Seward versus accommodations that are 3-5 miles outside of town? How much of a difference does the proximity make?

Thanks for your expertise!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,154 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seward 4th of July

I would stay right in town myself, but you might start seeing what is already booked up and go from there. :)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,821 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seward 4th of July

I would definitely stay in town then walk to everything. Parking in Seward will be a nightmare around July 4. Hopefully you can even find lodging at this "late" date. Many places in Seward have a minimum stay requirement over July 4th.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seward 4th of July

Better to stay near downtown or the small boat harbor... traffic can get bad and there is VERY limited if any parking near downtown.

www.seward.com lists vacancies for the holiday.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seward 4th of July

Thanks for your helpful responses!

It sounds like staying in town is the best option. Based on availability, we currently have a choice of a mid-town motel, a B&B on the outskirts of town (walkable) and a cabin 3 miles away. Is it the traffic, or the parking, or both, that make staying in town the right choice? We REALLY love the cabin, but not if it means sitting stuck in traffic, but doable if it means we have to park a mile or so from DT.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,393 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seward 4th of July

As glacierlady mentioned, it is both the parking and the traffic.

Seward has very limited parking when it is not crowded and the highway into/out of town is a "regular" 2 lane road (1 lane each way).

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,821 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seward 4th of July

It would definitely be traffic and parking. Staying 3 miles away doesn't appeal to me at all during Independence Day festivities. My guess is that you could walk the three miles both ways quicker and less stressful than trying to drive there, wait in traffic and find parking, then walk the "mile or so." Just walk 3 miles. If you really want to stay at the cabins, figure you walk about 3 mph, so it is only about 1 hour each way. Just be sure you pack rain gear (which you ALWAYS should do in Alaska anyway).

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seward 4th of July

Stay where ever you like best. Seward isn't that bad... not like a big city at all. What might be a 5 min drive normally might turn into 20 mins at a peak time such as when the races or fireworks are over. More important is not trying to park close to downtown. There are lots of residential side streets you might find a place if the owners don't have no parking signs up.

Over the past several years there have been workers directing traffic across the race course street of Jefferson which has greatly helped the backed up traffic problems I've seen in the past on race day.

I hope you enjoy the grandest celebration in the best town of Alaska!!

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seward 4th of July

Thank you everyone! I think what we will do is to stay in town overnight on July 3 and move to the cabin for the rest of our days in Seward. Best of both worlds! I appreciate everyone's input!

9. Re: Seward 4th of July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 06:18