We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kayaking

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Topic
kayaking

can anyone advise me on whether doing a kayaking tour with small kids in seward is a good idea?

(ages 6,9,12).

also anything else interesting for kids apart from the huskies,whale tours,sealife centre and exit glacier?

thanks

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kayaking

Every time I take the kids to Seward we head out to Lowell Point to skip stones, the kids call it flat rock beach. The kids have also enjoyed The Kenai Fjords boat tours. They also really enjoy hanging out at The Small Boat Harbor watching the fish come in and searching for otters.

You can stop in at The National Park Service headquarters at The Small Boat Harbor and pick up Jr Ranger kits for the younger ones.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kayaking

Perhaps read through our Top Question here on the Seward forum regarding sea kayaking. Check with some of the kayak guide companies as to the ages and recommendations. The guides are a great source of information as they have lots of experience.

There are double kayaks available to double up with an adult, although those can be heavy for the adult to paddle with a child's weight added. I once had trouble against the wind with a child in a double & that was only on Eklutna Lake when the wind off the inlet kicked up coming back.

With a guide to help & a boat nearby it would be a different story.

Hopefully, someone who has kayaked with children out of Seward will chime in!

pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
291 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kayaking

I would think you should contact a kayaking company directly. 6 yrs old seems a little young IMO. A lake I could see, but out in the Kenai Fjords is different.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kayaking

So, I went out to Tonsina last year and I saw no reason that kids couldn't manage that trip as long as the adult realized that they'd be doing most of the work. I went last year with Miller's Landing and don't recommend them as they messed up our scheduling and then put us (beginners) with a much more advanced group so we were paddling non-stop just to keep up with the advanced people (because our guide didn't want us being too far apart). It made it a very unpleasant trip and my shoulders ached for days. Not sure why the guide wouldn't just tell the super stars to slow the heck down, but there you are.

Sunny Cove looked like a great guide (we saw them while we were on the beach) but they are spendy.

I called Adventure 60 North and they have a few different trips that a kiddo as young as six can be on, they just put the young one with a guide (and I'm assuming the older ones with a parent). You could give them a call and talk specifics. Their prices seem quite reasonable.

www.adventure60.com/2014TripPriceList.html

5. Re: kayaking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 06:38