We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenai Fjords Tour or Saltwater Lodge (smaller boat tour)?

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Kenai Fjords Tour or Saltwater Lodge (smaller boat tour)?

I just booked the Saltwater Lodge Kenai Fjords boat tour due to it having much less people (15 or less), more flexibility in their schedule/route and due to the great reviews. I just wonder though if the chance of seasickness will be much greater on a smaller boat? I am not an experienced boater so I didn't think of it until now. I can cancel with a small fee for doing so. Just wondered if anyone had ever taken Saltwater's tour and what they thought. I also read the tour was too long as well. I will be bringing my 12 and 11 year old boys….9 hours does seem quite long (especially if sick!) but that is what we are there for I figure! Thank you for any feedback:)

PA
Level Contributor
796 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenai Fjords Tour or Saltwater Lodge (smaller boat tour)?

I'm not sure how the size of the boat would affect seasickness as I don't have a problem with that issue on the water. We loved our day with Saltwater and I was thrilled to have nine hours on the water spotting glaciers and wildlife. Others spent much of the ride home inside sleeping. I believe that how calm the water is on any given day would affect seasickness. As for the boys, I think it depends on what they enjoy and their patience as there are times when you are just enjoying the ride and the scenery.

Some highlights: time spent watching a pod of orcas (some breaching), lunch while watching a glacier calve, puffins all around, many humpbacks (some with calves), great stories from the captain with a little history tossed in...

Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenai Fjords Tour or Saltwater Lodge (smaller boat tour)?

Thank you very much TravPa for your reply. What time of year did you go? Do you remember your guides names? I am just going to stick with Saltwater. I like the idea of much less people and more flexibility in route. Also, if you think of anything else tip wise on what you would have brought along with you, I'd love to know (besides food…I did read that the lunch may not fill us up).

Thank you again! So looking forward to this trip. Have to say that every Alaskan I've spoken to so far, couldn't have been more helpful or friendly by phone:)

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,063 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenai Fjords Tour or Saltwater Lodge (smaller boat tour)?

Having spent a lot of time on the ocean in smaller boats in the 25-40 foot range, and taking several Kenai Fijords cruises, I'd expect that a person would be much more likely to suffer seasickness on the smaller boats. They pitch and roll more, and even moderate waves can get them rocking. It takes more wave action to have much effect on the larger craft.

I'm not prone to seasickness myself, but I've watched plenty of people chumming on the smaller boats, and it seemed unlikely on the big boats, although I know it happens.

PA
Level Contributor
796 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenai Fjords Tour or Saltwater Lodge (smaller boat tour)?

You're welcome. We went the middle of June and had a very calm day on the water. Leif was our captain and I believe Clay was the deckhand. We really enjoyed the intimate nature of the small boat and so few people (11 on our day).

We brought small backpacks with sunglasses, winter hats, fleece, gloves, various snacks, water bottles, tissues, and binoculars. My husband thought the winter gear was ridiculous until we were near the glaciers and then he was very glad to have them. This allowed us to stay outside for most of the ride. I would suggest a pair of binoculars for each of the boys.

We LOVED Alaska and encountered so many wonderful people with spectacular stories around every bend.

bedford
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenai Fjords Tour or Saltwater Lodge (smaller boat tour)?

Spartyheart…I just booked the same trip for July and had all the concerns and also the same excitement on when I picked Salty (with having flexibility etc.).

I AM concerned about sea sickness and will be researching the best options etc.

WE are actually going to do the whale watching/glacier viewing FISHING combo..if we get two more people.

When are you guys going?

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,293 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenai Fjords Tour or Saltwater Lodge (smaller boat tour)?

You guys will have a great time!! That is one of my favorite things to do.. the combo!! I always feel so much more special when I see the big boats loaded with people and here we are so much closer to the water and wildlife. Enjoy!!

bedford
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kenai Fjords Tour or Saltwater Lodge (smaller boat tour)?

Glacierlady..good to hear!!

Kansas
Level Contributor
78 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kenai Fjords Tour or Saltwater Lodge (smaller boat tour)?

We are scheduled for the wildlife/glacier in August. Actually I was reading so much about seasickness on the larger boats that I thought the smaller boats surely couldn't be any worse. Can hardly wait for this trip!!

Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kenai Fjords Tour or Saltwater Lodge (smaller boat tour)?

We are going june 30th. I don't remember seeing the combo. Ill have to check into it. On another note, I've read many ppl get sick on the bigger boats so it probably depends more on if you are prone to seasickness I'm guessing. Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing until We are out there I guess. I am more concerned about my boys than me... I want them to really be able to enjoy it. I think your family and mine will each have a beautiful day wth calm water...That's my story and I'm sticking to it, lol;)

Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kenai Fjords Tour or Saltwater Lodge (smaller boat tour)?

We are going june 30th. I don't remember seeing the combo. Ill have to check into it. On another note, I've read many ppl get sick on the bigger boats so it probably depends more on if you are prone to seasickness I'm guessing. Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing until We are out there I guess. I am more concerned about my boys than me... I want them to really be able to enjoy it. I think your family and mine will each have a beautiful day wth calm water...That's my story and I'm sticking to it, lol;)