We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crowds leading up to July 4th?

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Crowds leading up to July 4th?

Hi all.

We'll be in Seward for a few days after our cruise disembarks in Whittier on June 30th. We'll be staying at the Holiday inn Express on the harbor and we'll be there for 3 nights, leaving on July 3rd. Should we expect big crowds, a lot of traffic, etc. or do people come in on the Fourth for the marathon. Just wondering how crazy it'll be while we're there.

Also, wondering if anyone knows the parking arrangements at the Holiday Inn? Do they have their own parking lot or is it on street parking, just find your own spot?

Thanks!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,371 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crowds leading up to July 4th?

I am sure most people coming for the celebration would not arrive on the 4th, especially the runners.

Holiday Inn Express has their own parking lot (not to say that others who aren't staying at the hotel might use the lot).

Edited: 08 February 2014, 17:02
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crowds leading up to July 4th?

There will probably be some crazy traffic coming south on the 3rd, so I would start out early. Where are you headed after Seward? If to Homer, you'll be turning off & avoided most of it.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crowds leading up to July 4th?

Thanks for the quick replies. We'll be headed north toward Anchorage and then up to Denali for a few days. So hopefully we'll be driving against the traffic.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crowds leading up to July 4th?

Yes, you'll be against, but some of them pass like crazy racing down for the holiday on that 2 lane Seward hwy. That's why I suggest an early start.

Edited: 08 February 2014, 21:30
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crowds leading up to July 4th?

Sounds like a good plan. Thanks!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,371 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crowds leading up to July 4th?

Plus, you won't be able to pass very easily yourself with the traffic coming the other way. So you will be stuck behind slow RV's for a large portion of the drive from Seward to Anchorage.

I would strongly suggest you not try to drive from Seward to Denali all in one day. If you do plan on that, I would figure 12-14 hours for the drive. That takes into account the holiday traffic and the road construction that is already being forecast on the Parks Highway for next summer. Add to that stops for a meal and gas, and if you want to stop for any photos or sightseeing, you are looking at a VERY long day. Best is to drive from Seward to Talkeetna or Trapper Creek, spend the night, then drive the rest of the way the next day.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 00:07
Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,342 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crowds leading up to July 4th?

Holiday Inn has their own small parking lot and there's a much bigger one across the street.

Don't worry about crowds and traffic too much. Where your from probably has alot more! We don't even have a stoplight in Seward!!

Now if one of those crazy passers on the hwy causes an accident.. that's where you'd be sitting waiting, sometimes for hours till it gets cleared up... and that is a year around problem.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crowds leading up to July 4th?

We won't be driving all the way to Denali from Seward in one day. We'll be heading up to Anchorage for the day and spending the night there. The plan is to wake up Friday the 4th, have a nice breakfast and be on the road by 9AM. I'm allowing about 6 hours to get from Anchorage to Healy (sound about right?) so we should get to our hotel right around check-in time.

IGlacierlady, I'm hoping the traffic in Seward isn't as bad as here in Philly! I wouldn't want to sit in bumper to bumper traffic like on I-95 or the Schuykill Expressway. Not my idea of a relaxing vacation!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crowds leading up to July 4th?

Yes, depending if road construction is in operation on the 4th holiday, you' should be fine with your timing. But there are great stops not to miss: Denali view south & north and the beautiful veteran's memorial.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,619 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crowds leading up to July 4th?

I never drive without: water, snacks, novel, iPad (& or laptop). These are my musts if I get stopped/stuck due to construction or an accident. Also keeping gas tank more than half full keeps you from worrying about, "OMG, hope I'm not stopped too long"... though even for short stops shut your engine off.