We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitos in May

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Florida
Level Contributor
266 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
mosquitos in May

Planning a trip to Alaska in May, 07 and wanted to know if the mosquitos are bad on the Glacier/Wildlife cruises? Is earlier or later May any better or worse?

Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
970 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitos in May

There wouldn't be any mosquitos on a cruise. In general, May can be a bad time for mosquitos on land. In my area this year, they were hardly noticable, but last year they were bad. I think that was because we received little rain in the spring. It just all depends on where you are going and what kind of spring we're having. Can't really predict that.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
27 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitos in May

I'll bump this discussion and ask if there are a lot of mosquitos in July in Seward and/or near Denali. Also, what time of day do they come out?

I bet it's like Minnesota where the answer is always "it depends", but it can't hurt to double check. My mother reacts very strongly to bites, so we'll be protecting her well...I just want to know what we might be up against later this month.

Good to hear that mosquitos aren't a problem on cruise ships! :)

Jeff

St. Paul, MN

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitos in May

As for June/July window in Denali and/or Seward, we were in both of those locations in 2006 at that very time (June 20 - July 4) and the skeeters were horrible in both areas. Didn't realize how bad down on the Kenai Penn until I got out to snap a photo of the big sign as you enter the area and was swarmed!

In Denali during the rainy drizzly days, not bad but one afternoon after a clearing of the skies, the buggers were terrible!

Arkansas
Level Contributor
318 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitos in May

We just returned and they were pretty bad, BUT we had on long sleeves and put Off on the backs of our hands and I only got one bite. That was before I put on the Off!

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,342 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitos in May

I've never had any problems with skeeters in town Seward and I'm one they love. They don't like the saltwater and how windy it normally is here.

6. Re: mosquitos in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 01:16