We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus or train or ...from Seward to Fairbanks

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nebraska
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
bus or train or ...from Seward to Fairbanks

Hi!

I have been researching and I have not found a train or bus that would take us from Seward directly to Fairbanks. Everything I see, you have to stop in Anchorage for the night then go on to Seward. I saw there is a shuttle service (van) but I think you have to have 7 people in your group possibly? But again I don't see that it will go to Seward - Fairbanks. We don't want to rent a car.

We (my husband & I) want to spend 3 nights in Seward so he can go Halibut fishing and then we want to take the Fjords tour then next day, then was hoping not to have to spend another night before we meet everyone in our group for the land portion of our cruise tour. Which we will be spending 2 night in Fairbanks, 2 nights in Denali and 2 nights in Mt McKinley.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus or train or ...from Seward to Fairbanks

If you want to get to Fairbanks the same day as a bus/train gets you to Anchorage you could fly from Anchorage to Fairbanks.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,305 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus or train or ...from Seward to Fairbanks

" 2 nights in Denali and 2 nights in Mt McKinley."

I'm confused by the above. They are the same (unless you plan to actually climb the mountain).

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus or train or ...from Seward to Fairbanks

Yes, I am confused as well, since you speak of

"Seward directly to Fairbanks. Everything I see, you have to stop in Anchorage for the night then go on to Seward. "

I am not entirely sure which direction you wish to travel.

In any case, the train between Anchorage and Fairbanks takes 12 hours, and the train between Anchorage and Seward takes 4 hours. Even in the old days when trains ran from Seward to Fairbanks they split the run and overnighted in Curry, the railroad half-way point.

Perhaps the best alternative is to fly Anchorage-Fairbanks the same day you take the train Seward to Anchorage. On a clear day it is a magnificent flight with great views of the Alaska Range to the east and Denali to the west. On occasion (don't plan on it!) the pilot has diverted to get closer to the mountain. It is quite a thrill to circle the top of the mountain in a 737.

Yes, there are/were some vans to charter, but given the time and distances involved, that can get quite expensive.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus or train or ...from Seward to Fairbanks

This sounds like a Princess cruise/tour. Are you meeting your group in Fairbanks then travel south with stops at Princess lodges of Denali and Mt McKinley; then pick up your cruise at Whittier. Otherwise, this would be an impossible event (taking three days off between a cruise and joining the land portion of your cruise/tour.

The Denali Star leaves Anchorage every morning at 8.15 and no connection from Seward is available at that time of day (other than taxi). Your train will arrive at Fairbanks around 8.00 in the evening. I'm with everyone else who says fly to Fairbanks from Anchorage and save your day.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,142 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bus or train or ...from Seward to Fairbanks

"" 2 nights in Denali and 2 nights in Mt McKinley."

I'm confused by the above. They are the same (unless you plan to actually climb the mountain)."

I believe they are referring to the Princess Denali Lodge in Glitter Gulch and the Princess McKinley Lodge an hour north of Talkeetna.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bus or train or ...from Seward to Fairbanks

Yes, flying would be the quickest way to get to Fairbanks. :)

nebraska
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bus or train or ...from Seward to Fairbanks

Sorry for the confusion. My husband & I are going to Seward before our cruise tour starts. However we will be doing the land portion of the cruise tour first which starts in Fairbanks, which we will spend 2 nights then go to Denali Princess for 2 nights, then to the McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge for 2 nights, then take the bus to Whittier to get on the ship.

I am in the early stages trying to figure out the best way to see as much as possible, but again we are meeting a group of friends the the cruise tour part and I want them to see as much as they want as well.

Thank you so all your help. Any thoughts as always appreciated!

8. Re: bus or train or ...from Seward to Fairbanks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 05:16