We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June visit to Seward - group age range of 7-75

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Carrollton, Georgia
6 posts
Save Topic
June visit to Seward - group age range of 7-75

We are flying into Anchorage and driving an RV to Seward. We hope to camp at the City of Seward RV Park. Our group consists of two kids, 7 and 10, myself and my husband (both in mid 40s) and my parents (mid 70s). We will have about 3 days in Seward. I would like to do one full day cruise to see wildlife and glaciers, visit the Iditarod kennels, and go on a fishing charter. Can you suggest tours/charters that would be KID FRIENDLY? If you had three days to spend in Seward would you choose these three activities, or something else?

Another option would be to spend only 2 days in Seward and drive to Homer to go on a boat tour with the Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies.

What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance for any help you might provide!

Wendy

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,939 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June visit to Seward - group age range of 7-75

Don't forget the Sealife center!

Do you only have these 3 days for your entire Alaskan vacation??

Carrollton, Georgia
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: June visit to Seward - group age range of 7-75

We have 7 total days...but that includes travel. May 29 we get into Anchorage late from Georgia (sleep in the RV on the rental lot). May 30 through June 4 are for sight seeing and on June 5th we fly back home. :( I know it is short, but it is all we had time for this time around. We hope to come another time to see Denali....

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,302 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June visit to Seward - group age range of 7-75

With your limited time I wouldn't stray to far from the Seward Hwy (i.e. direct between Anchorage and Seward). That does give you the Girdwood/Portage/Whittier area that has a ton of great family friendly AK activities. If you think you are having trouble filling your days at Seward, then add this area (see post at: http://goo.gl/dPvuEJ for more info). You can camp at Williwaw campground too for these things.

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,055 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June visit to Seward - group age range of 7-75

I wouldn't drive to Homer just for one day. The kenai fijords tour is a great trip, be sure to do one of the 6+ hour ones that gets further from Seward.

Do all 6 of you want to go on a charter? Many of the charter boats are "6 packs", taking 6 clients, so you could have the boat all to yourselves, which would be nice given your age range. I take it you haven't booked yet, and the better charters do tend to book up, so I'd look into it sooner rather than later.

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,055 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June visit to Seward - group age range of 7-75

Oh, a few charter recommendations; I fished with Semeka last year and really liked them, this June we're fishing with crackerjack, who come very highly recommended. I've used ProFishNSea in the past and would also recommend them.

A slightly less expensive outfit that I've heard good things about is Inn and Out charters.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June visit to Seward - group age range of 7-75

If you have time, also visit Exit glacier. Those who are up to it should hike up to the glacier. The rest of the group can stick to the shorter walks and hang out at the ranger station.

New York
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June visit to Seward - group age range of 7-75

Either of the major Kenai Fjords vendors are excellent, Major Marine and Kenai Fjords Tours.

IF anyone is prone to motion sickness, take precautions. I see sick passengers every trip. You do need at least 6 hours on the water.

In my opinion, 2 nights are the min, for Homer.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,644 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June visit to Seward - group age range of 7-75

The Center for Alaska Coastal Studies tour goes to Peterson Bay, a good choice for tide pooling. We have done it and was a lot of fun. You will enjoying the "docking method"

Alaska
Level Contributor
139 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June visit to Seward - group age range of 7-75

Hello, Why not one day fishing, you'll leave pretty early and get back in the late afternoon, unless you get lucky with your fishing, in which case you might be back earlier (but I wouldn't count on that), one day on the water with one of the tour companies and then one day of the Alaska Sea Life Center, Exit Glacier and the dog sled tours. Lunch at Ray's on the Sea Life, Exit, dog sled day.

Ben

Carrollton, Georgia
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: June visit to Seward - group age range of 7-75

Thank you everyone for your suggestions...they have been VERY helpful. We leave this Thursday, and now I'm worried about the evacuations I've been hearing about....do they include the Seward area?