We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking in seward - please suggest me a time

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kayaking in seward - please suggest me a time

I have 2 options. one in the afternoon (12 -3) and two in the evening.(4-7) or (6pm to 10pm). I heard morning is the best time to kayaking but I wont be able make it in the morning. Could you please suggest me when is the good time to do kayaking considering the water temperature, cold and wind during last week of May (exactly May 28th)?

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking in seward - please suggest me a time

Weather- cold/wind is very hard to predict. Personally I'd go for late evening.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking in seward - please suggest me a time

Who are you going with? I'll advise you to NOT go with Miller's Landing. Other than that, timing is never going to be a 'known'. You pick one and hope for the best on the weather.

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking in seward - please suggest me a time

The general rule in Resurrection Bay is that the wind blows out FROM land in the morning, making that a great time to paddle out into the bay. In the afternoon the wind blows FROM sea to shore, ideal for paddling back into the bay.

Of course going in the opposite direction is quite possible but takes more work.

I hope GlacierLady looks at this thread and asks around to see what local kayaking experts have to say, particularly about evening or night, given the long summer days we enjoy.

AKTiker, why is it you advise against Miller Landing? How long ago was the bad experience(s) that cause your negative recommendation? A few years back I decided I would recommend against a specific firm for perhaps two seasons after a bad experience, and offer only cautions after that time. I feel times change, certainly crews, workers and kayak guides change, and often the owner or the corporate culture they propagate in dealing with the public.

I am just wondering what / when your comment was generated.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking in seward - please suggest me a time

I had a very bad experience with them just last year, 71. I agree about changes, and after more than a year or two, I tend to state *when* I had a bad experience. I've explained a great deal more about the multiple problems I had with them in another thread. I'll see if I can find the link to it.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayaking in seward - please suggest me a time

Here's what I wrote back in March to another person thinking of kayaking in Seward. I changed the day we were kayaking from a Saturday to a Sunday ahead of time and paid the money to make that change, but apparently their front office took my payment, but didn't not the schedule change. The rest of the pain is detailed below:

'I had a bad experience on the Caine's Head trip last year. My friend and I got paired with two kayaks of much more expert kayakers because of Miller's Landing messing up our tour scheduling. Instead of getting us our own guide, they just put us with another group and it was horrible. The guide couldn't convince the other folks to slow the heck down and my shoulders were killing me half way through the trip from trying to keep up (and I am a fit, and muscular individual, but we had two adults and they had an adult and a child in their kayaks). We sat on the beach rather than trying to keep up with the other people on the hike and watched a group on a Sunny Cove tour leisurely paddling up to the shore, taking pictures, and generally enjoying the heck out of their trip.

It had taken me an hour to recover from our horrid journey, but I got up and helped their guide pull the kayaks up on the shore while those folks on that tour took more pictures and looked around.

We then waited a full hour and a half longer than the Miller's Landing tour stated we would because of the hikers. The guide told us than the water taxi that we'd take back wouldn't have been there any sooner. We got back nearly two hours after the tour on the web site said we would. Good thing we had no other plans that day. The walk from the water taxi to the shore included calf deep wading so don't plan on wearing nice shoes or on using the same shoes the rest of the day. We weren't warned of this possibility.

I'd look into Adventure 60 North instead of trying to get a deal. I would not book a tour or recommend a tour with Miller's Landing ever again after that debacle.'

6. Re: Kayaking in seward - please suggest me a time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 07:16