We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three days to visit seward and denali

Save Topic
Three days to visit seward and denali

We arrive 7th september in Seward at 5 am and we would lide to visit Prince William Sound or Kenaii Fjoords Park prior to go to Denali .

We have to arrive to Anchorage by 9 th in the evening. Do You think it's available?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
206 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three days to visit seward and denali

With three days, I would visit either Seward OR Denali, not both. You woukd be on the road and not be able to enjoy anythung.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three days to visit seward and denali

I would suggest you get a car in Anchorage on the 7th (transfer from Seward) and drive to Denali for two nights, tour the park on the 8th and return to Anchorage on the 9th to arrive in the evening. As for Seward you can not do both. Otherwise, spend both nights in Seward. In that short of period that is what I would do

New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
281 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three days to visit seward and denali

Assume your coming in on a Cruise....While it's not impossible to do both, you sure won't get to see much. I assume again you have a transfer from Seward to Anchorage. Since your already in Seward, you can do the Kenai Fjords tour from there, but if you just got off a ship, this is spending another day out on a tour boat. I guess it just depends on what you want to do. You can rent a car in ANCH and drive back down to Whittier and see Prince William sound...agian back on a tour boat. Getting from Seward, to anchorage and getting a rental and going to Denali and back by the evening of the 9th would really be pushing it...

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,192 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three days to visit seward and denali

You don't have 3 days, you actually have barely 2.5 days. I would not consider traveling to Denali as you'd end up using about 12 to 15 hours just on the transit portion of getting there and back to ANC.

Instead, I'd spend the 7th & 8th in Seward exploring this great little AK town. On the 9th I'd get going early and take a one-way rental )pricey but worth it) and head north towards ANC. I'd stop and visit Byron Glacier (very easy hike into a beautiful mountain valley), then grab the 1.5 hr cruise on Portage Lake to Portage Glacier. After that I'd head to the AK Wildlife Conservation Ctr (great wildlife viewing). I'd grab an early dinner in Girdwood (Jack Sprat, Chair 5, Double Musky, Silvertip Grill, Seven Glaciers are all very good/interesting options). Finally, if you've time, head up to the Glen Alps trailhead for some great views of ANC, the arms and surrounding mountains.

Here's a google map if you choose an option like this: http://goo.gl/maps/d5W8H

If you like museums/arts/crafts, make sure you stop at the AK Native Medical Ctr in Anchorage for its amazing displays of AK Native arts & crafts (free to the public during normal visiting hours - take the hospital's main elevators to the 5th floor and take stairs down. Stop at each lobby to view displays).

- google map link: http://goo.gl/maps/pxdnC

Good luck & enjoy AK,

Scott

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three days to visit seward and denali

Yes, but this with give them a full day for the park (8th) and do the driving on the 7th and 9th. The driving distance between Anchorage and the park entrance is under 250.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three days to visit seward and denali

People often fail to grasp the grandness of our state. Seward to Denali is a 363 mile drive. Google maps has it as taking 7 hours, but the mapping sites underestimate driving times in Alaska. The reality is that's more like a 10 hour drive, without any stops.

http://goo.gl/maps/U6Smt

So while Denali is awesome, you simply do not have time for it with just three days. Focus instead on Seward and Whittier and the Anchorage area.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,192 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three days to visit seward and denali

John,

I agree with the fact it's possible; but don't forget, they are starting out in Seward. Since they're already in Seward, I'd do activities there and then others in between Seward and ANC as opposed to losing 10 to 15 hours of sitting behind the wheel of a car for Denali.

Travelers,

Regardless of your decision, you'll still do/see amazing things.

:)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three days to visit seward and denali

I totally agree with Scott's idea - concentrate on Seward, rent a car for one day and drive to Anchorage with the multiple stops along the way.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three days to visit seward and denali

I forgot about the Seward to Anchorage part. And, if they were to get their car in Anchorage I doubt they could hit the road any earlier than noon, and then to drive around 250 miles before dinner wouldn't work for me

Save Reply
10. Re: Three days to visit seward and denali

Thanks for your answers. I think we'll stay at Seward for 2 days.

As we arrive in a cruise from Vancouver, is it nice to visit Kenai fjords park, go to Whittier to visit Prince Williams Sound or travel by car in Kenai peninsula or other options by car?

Thanks