We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

volunteering at community centre - safety in Costa Rica

Which San Ramon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
278 reviews
Save Topic
volunteering at community centre - safety in Costa Rica

I am debating volunteering at a community centre in San Ramon.

I have been to Nicaragua but not Costa Rica. Today I ran into someone who seemed displeased with his journey there saying it was next to Honduras as his least favorite. I think he felt that everyone lived behind barbed wire or something. I thought it was a bit odd.

I would not mind hearing if someone has volunteered there or knows about San Ramon. I think he was thinking more San Jose

7 replies to this topic
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: volunteering at community centre - safety in Costa Rica

I wouldn't hesitate to volunteer in San Ramon. It's about an hour from San Jose, but kind of worlds away. A good-sized town but pleasant. I don't think you need have any safety concerns there other than the normal good common sense things.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: volunteering at community centre - safety in Costa Rica

Maybe that person was referring to Nicaragua...of course we have barbed wire...but Nicaragua is maybe the most corrupted country in America...if you have had a good time there...you will have great time here... GUARANTEE!

roadadvisor

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: volunteering at community centre - safety in Costa Rica

I really like Nica and am aware of the Nica-Tica battle . Sorry I love Nica and want to go back.

Thanks Hattie for your comments.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: volunteering at community centre - safety in Costa Rica

I am quite familiar with various Central American countries, including CR and Nicaragua. I have never felt unsafe in either location but have always been aware of petty theft in both. Both nations have a higher murder rate than the US, for example, but neither is on the scale of Honduras or even Belize or Guatemala. Nicaragua's violent crime rate is actually a bit higher than Costa Rica's.

If you have traveled through Nicaragua or anywhere in Latin America, I am sure you must have seen plenty of homes with bars on the windows. It is no different in Costa Rica.

San Ramon is certainly not a tourist destination and thus, would be great for a volunteer. As Hattie said, I would not hesitate to go there.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: volunteering at community centre - safety in Costa Rica

Thanks Framptonian. Granada was of course a tourist place but I stayed with a family so until I got closer to the park it was not a tourist area then you saw the tourists. I have seen gates etc before in Namibia as well.

This program really suits me. I might just do this volunteer thing every year :-)

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: volunteering at community centre - safety in Costa Rica

That is wonderful! San Ramon is certainly nowhere on the average tourist's radar but it is a nice town that doesn't really strike me as crime-ridden.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,819 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: volunteering at community centre - safety in Costa Rica

I agree with Framp, if you have been to Nica then nothing will shock you or be a turn off in CR. Cool that you are coming to do some charity work, 2 thumbs up. Have a blast and tell us all about the trip when you are back. Have fun in San Ramon, "city of poets and presidents"

Cheers

Edited: 23 January 2012, 21:38
Reply to: volunteering at community centre - safety in Costa Rica
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Ramon