We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lannion - flooding at the car park by the river!

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Lannion - flooding at the car park by the river!

Do not use the car park next to the River Leguer in Lannion without checking the tidal conditions as the sea sometime surges causing flooding. If unsure, do not park there between 5.00pm and 8.00pm. I was caught out and parked my car in a crowded car park at this location between 5.00pm and 8.00pm and when I came back, my sports car was flooded and in 2 foot of water. At the time of writing, the problems with my car maybe terminal. There is one small sign in French at one of the entrances but not at the entrance I came through. There is nothing alerting parkers to this matter at the large tourist office in the car park or at the pay station, neither is this area cordoned off or marked in any way. My car wouldn't start and eventually had to be towed away. However, during this ordeal, the people of Lannion were fantastic. I had many offers of help, offers of accomodation and a couple who insisted on driving us back to our hotel.

12 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lannion - flooding at the car park by the river!

>>If unsure, do not park there between 5.00pm and 8.00pm<<

The time of high tide changes by around half an hour each day, so this advice is not helpful. Maybe avoid parking in this area at high tide.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lannion - flooding at the car park by the river!

I think I did say at the top of my piece Do not use the car park next to the River Leguer in Lannion without checking the tidal conditions as the sea sometime surges causing flooding. As for 5.00pm to 8.00pm, the local people gave me this advice, all be it too late. Check with someone local not half a world away.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lannion - flooding at the car park by the river!

I was pleased to hear that the locals rallied round. This can happen anywhere beside tidal waters whn there is a high spring tide coinciding with, or following heavy rain and/or gales. I remmber there used to be a car park in Putney that appeared in the London Evening Stadard evey couple of years with cars suurounded by water. An internationally agreed symbol to be displayed at car parks that are at risk could be useful

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lannion - flooding at the car park by the river!

>>Check with someone local not half a world away.<<

Tides behave the same throughout the world. Obviously, the problem was between 5 and 8 pm when you were there, but it will be at different times on other days.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,373 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lannion - flooding at the car park by the river!

I see on Googlemaps that there are several car parks next to the river. Which one caused your problem? (and commiserations about the car)

http://goo.gl/maps/Vz8bS

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lannion - flooding at the car park by the river!

Hi Lynn This is the parking address - Place de Caerphilly, 22300 Lannion, France. This car park is about 2 miles inland from the sea and an hour before the flood was low and showed no signs of the flood to come. Thanks for your commiserations, much appreciated and for his knowledge and expertise of tides worldwide thanks must also go to Sydneydick. Head of my motivations was to alert people of the possible dangers in this car park so that they will not suffer as I have. This incident happened close to a bank holiday and getting anything done was a nightmare. I have several insurances who refused to help or pay compensation as this type of incident does not come under their purview. So beware!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,373 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lannion - flooding at the car park by the river!

I think Nick was just saying that tide times change each day, not that your warning about the car park wasn't useful.

You would never expect a tidal surge that far in, and looking on Googlemaps, there are quite good walls to the river. Better signage would help though I can't read the signs at the roundabout there. And the place looks level with the streets. Did the streets get inundated too or were you just in a low point?

We almost got flooded in an hotel car park when the water rose after rains. Had we left the car it would have been over the roof.

How is the car?

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lannion - flooding at the car park by the river!

The river Léguer overflew as it always does during high tides. Parking L'Aiguillon and Parking Caerphilly are regularly flooded just before the tidal surge.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,373 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lannion - flooding at the car park by the river!

Surely better signage would help visitors

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lannion - flooding at the car park by the river!

Sorry Nick but things are a bit raw at the moment.

Hi Lynn, the roads around the area were unaffected. I was grateful to get the last space in a very busy car park. We went into the tourist office in the car park but there was no sign there or at the pay meter (seems an obvious place for signage when warning french or foreign tourists). There is a small non pictoral sign at one of the entrances but not the entrance we came in. We sat on a bench on the towpath by the River and looked down at the water which seemed calm and benign. Had the water been high at that time, I would have moved. We went into town for an hour to have a meal and walked back to the car to see it partially submerged. I couldn't believe it as there was no indication that this could happen. We pushed the car out of the water and tried to start it but to no avail. I arranged for a tow truck to come and by the time it arrived the car park was pretty much clear except for a few puddles. I wasn't the only one to get caught and there were a couple of french cars in the mire but they seemed to escape with not too much damage. Still waiting to find out about my car. It has an engine management system that is located footwell (given the circumstances, the worst possible place) and it is unrepairable. This has to be replaced before other possible damage is assessed.

Edited: 19 August 2014, 12:10
Reply to: Lannion - flooding at the car park by the river!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lannion