We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Tours in Skagway

powder springs, ga
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Best Tours in Skagway

With one day in Skagway what are the best tours? We are thinking of seeing the beautiful scenary and wildlife and maybe dogsledding but don't want to take the expensive helicopter trips. Any ideas?

Skagway, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Skagway
Level Contributor
608 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Tours in Skagway

Okay, I will have to be the radical here, and suggest that since you have already ruled out the heli-dogtour, that is the only one which you really have to book in advance!

ALL of the other tours are always available, in spite of what the high pressure sale pitches will imply!?! There about six different tour companies which operate in Skagway each summer and then we always have a couple of "start ups" each year. In fainess, Klondike Tours had the taxi company start-up and they folded that last year, but I think that they will still be doing tours this year. ALL of these companies will try to book you in advance, get the credit card, and then if the valley is full of fog, they take you up there anyway!?!? If you complain, the driver will have some lame excuse that he slept in and had no idea that the fog would be this bad and " you will have to find my boss, to discuss a refund" etc.??? The dirty little secret is that they do this all of the time, knowing that you are only going to be here for a few hours and if they can hum you along for a while you wil shrug off the fog tour and just get back on the ship.

THE Alternative! Just come here. Get off of the ship, and look up the valley for yourself! If that isn't clear enough, proceed directly to the National Park Service and ask them for a fog report! It can be completely fogged in and you might notice that the street sellers are still hectoring the passersby to go on their ""scenic" tour! They are that unscruplous!?! They can see the valley from their sales platform so it is almost laughable to see the carnies working the crowd when they have no product to deliver!?! So you should then involve yourselves in the many other activities which the people of the Park Service will recomend, (if you ask) and then if the fog lifts in a couple of hours, you will still have plenty of time to book a tour to the summit with a legitiment outfit and really see some scenery so that you can tell your friends back on the ship what they missed by booking the morning run!?! Caveat Emptour! DD

skagway
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Tours in Skagway

Your options are endless. Dave is right in saying that you might wait to see what the weather is like in town before you buy an excursion onboard. You may even find that the prices are CHEAPER in town. Skagway has a tour brokerage set up by the city to sells tours for the majority of the operators in town (a one-stop shop kind of deal). The tour companies also sell independently for themselves.

Scenic bus tours, fishing, train rides up the pass, hike and river rafting float tours, and sight seeing tours (plane and helicopter) are all at your fingertips. I recommend getting into town early in the morning to book space and get a good price.

If you do want to "get in the air", glacier sight seeing tours by plane are a bit more affordable than the helicopter tours. But you should know that the helicopter tours are incredible, and worth the money.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
429 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Tours in Skagway

DD: Your suggestions about waiting and then checking the valley for fog makes sense! It sounds like there are many summit options but if the train is the one that interests me, does your advice still hold? Can you still wait until you get off the ship, check the weather, make a decision and STILL get a spot? Thanks much. We are arriving at the very end of May.

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Tours in Skagway

Despite the high-pressure talks you'll hear on the ship about the White Pass & Yukon Route railway in particular (I'm about to go on my 4th Alaska cruise), you can indeed wait until you arrive and then book a trip if the weather looks good.

Murray

Skagway, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Skagway
Level Contributor
608 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Tours in Skagway

The only ,up to date, caveat, that I am hearing from my friends at the railroad is that some of the trains on Wed. are filling up, but even then there is always a 4:30 train which is never filled and if you are on a ship which tells you that they won't wait for you if the train is held up!?!?, I do not know how this would be possible since there is only one train and they always have passengers from all of the ships! DD

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
429 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Tours in Skagway

Thanks to both of you for the helpful info.

Skagway
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Tours in Skagway

Skagway is a Coastal area, the fog can roll in at 2pm or out at 5am or the rain can fall all night long, then the sun can shine till midnight,

I always recommend reservations, the opinions or thoughts are for people that don't have structure or that live in the area and can see it tomorrow, it might be foggy on the pass but the Yukon area will be like being on a beach in Cancun, I'm sure that there are a few that will wait till the last minute, but not me!

Capt. Gary

Six month local of Skagway

8. Re: Best Tours in Skagway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 20:16