We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seeking advice

Which Skagway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
251 reviews
Save Topic
seeking advice

Family of 4 adults want to see the best part of Skagway without spending an arm and a leg. We have already exceeded our budget by taking a private whale watching tour in Juneau ( for us a highlight)however, with that said, this is a trip of a lifetime and we don’t want to cheap out and miss the best things to see. Any ideas? Should we do the WHITE PASS SUMMIT BUS & RAIL EXCURSION? Dyer Dave??? We can't afford both adn I am totally confused. I appreciate your help.

Skagway, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Skagway
Level Contributor
603 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seeking advice

The name of the town was Dyea and it was adapted from an unwritten word in the Native language, which meant "windy place". One hundred years later the AP attached that name to me in a "filler story" which got me a lot of razzin' from both of my friends, so I asdopted same, since I am a windy guy.....but that is NOT why we are here, so we should maybe reasemble and review your concerns;

You can see the Summit and not ride the train for about 30 bucks per person, but if someone is really a train buff and some are not, there are ways around this one, too.

The one way train this year is 81 dollars per person and the bus ride is 30 bucks whether you ride the train or not, so that the train buffs could ride the train and those of the Scottish strain could just do the bus and everyone can be happy this way.

There are several outfits who will accomodate this schedule so if you just shop onshore and avoid all of the prebooked, packaged bus tours, (large&small),

you might even avoid a fog tour!?

For more info, check the Skagway Forum or send a PM for more specific info.

Happy travels!

DD

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,803 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seeking advice

We booked a combination rail and bus trip with Dyea Dave June last. The rail trip was great, but the personalised small bus trip pick-up in Fraser, after the rail up, to Emerald Lake with Dave and back to Skagway was probably better.

As said above, there are several operators in this market for tours. Just do not book through the cruise, but do so independently. The tours booked through the cruise will take the trip no matter what the weather, and if the Pass is shrouded in fog, you will see ....... White.

Hope this may be of some assistance. The WPYR and Dyea Dave trip to Emerald Lake was one of the top highlights of our cruise.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: seeking advice

Thanks so much!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: seeking advice

We did the train ride and really enjoyd it but we also went to the National park office right next to the train office and got free trail maps and walked several.

They range from very easy to very hard and we really enjoyed this, we were practically the only people hiking and it was beautiful, breath taking views, and really very peaceful and what we were looking for after the commericalism of Juneau.

I had never been on a train before and it was a very nice experience with amazing views. It was only a few dollars cheaper to book when you got there instead from the crusie ship but we wanted to make sure we wouldn't get there and have them sold out

Skagway also deserves to be checked out, quaint small town, nice little places to eat, get a local brewed beer, lots of local artist. Very easy walking.

We had the best time at Skagway just hiking and walking around the town.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,310 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seeking advice

Another option if you have some time is to go to the NPS office in town. They have some great programs and ranger-led walks if you are interested. Everything is free but get there early in order to get a ticket - they usually run out of tickets sometime during the late morning or afternoon.

John

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,441 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: seeking advice

The bus(van)/train combo was our tour of choice for our day in Skagway and I think it was the best thing we could have done! The train itself is an amazing feat considering the era and conditions under which it was constructed. Doing the combo tour allowed us to experience it from up close and afar. I'd do it again for sure!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,441 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: seeking advice

One other thing to consider. We chose not to book an up close whale watching tour at all during our cruise adventure. However, we saw dozens of whales of all kinds on five different days during the 7 day cruise. So if I had to cut one or the other from my budget, I'd skip the whale watching tour.

8. Re: seeking advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 11:27