We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from NCL Pearl Alaska Cruise

oh
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from NCL Pearl Alaska Cruise

We had the best time ever. Pleased with everything. The food the shows the staff. No complaints.I walked and walked and only gained 1 lb,even after fab mexican choco cake and other great desserts.Glacier Bay was breathtakeing, the boat was silent during the time we stood and gazed at such ,it was a spirital experience.If any complaint, the excess which was strickly my fault,margaretas,gambling,eating,cup after cup of their delichous coffee.Staying up to late to watch a show. Wow what a week.The staff makes you feel like the rich and famous.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from NCL Pearl Alaska Cruise

Sounds exactly what it should be - a wonderful time! Any favorite places or things you did?

oh
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from NCL Pearl Alaska Cruise

The train well worth the price. The Saxman Indian Village. Whale watch soso. Not enough time in Victoria to see much. I would just walk around and not go on the tour.We rode the open tour trolly,almost froze.Theres so much to do on the boat and the Glacer Bay is great. If you are on a budget stay on the boat and enjoy everything they have to offer. Do not over pack.Most people are casual. No shorts or tanks in dineing rooms.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from NCL Pearl Alaska Cruise

Mercy's Thanks for your excellent postings. We are going on the same trip on the Pearl in a few weeks. Anything you wish you knew about before you left. I have become a Cruisecritic.com junkie

oh
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from NCL Pearl Alaska Cruise

We over packed as usual. Casual dress for sure. I would not take as many clothes next time. I took black and white and wore a few things many times.We missed a few of the shows and wish we had attended them all.Get to the shows early to get a seat they fill up early. We didnt gain weight due to lots of walking and takeing the steps. I wish we had done the salmonbake.Heard it was great. Weather willing, eat on the deck at the back of the boat. Great spot to relax and just chill out. Take your own large coffee mug with a lid.The Garden Palace is free and the menu is very good. You wont find steak or fresh seafood, but the offerings were fine.I found the air very dry and used lots of body mosturizer.Also here is a chance to try foods you may not ordinarly eat.Braised Endive,excellent,never had it before.Just go with the flow and have a great time.Wish I were going back.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from NCL Pearl Alaska Cruise

coberg

we were on the Pearl last year and as mercys said bring a coffee mug with lid, there is a free cappuccino machine in the back of the buffet area just before the outdoor seating area. My husband loved it!

when we boarded we headed for the back of the ship and the out door seating, sat there and had a drink or two as the boat left dock. Great views of Seattle!

No need to over pack, we rewore many things plus there is self serve laundry on board

We really enjoyed the views from the train in Skagway, my husband is a history buff and really enjoyed it. Then we spent alot of time walking hiking trails and touring the town. Really enjoyed Skagway

Whale watching was good but it was raining and the end of the season

Glacier Bay was the best, truely amazing and as mercy said, dead silence. The forest rangers were wonderful and so imformative

We are not real big fans of crusiing but enjoyed the laid back feeling of this cruise and being able to eat when and where we wanted to was very nice. We used room service every morning for coffee and fruit then would head down to the buffet after the crowds

have agreat trip!

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Skagway
Skagway
Alaska
Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from NCL Pearl Alaska Cruise

Wonderful advice, Mcmomny. Just to clear thing sup for newbies, the Pearl discontinued the self-laundry. They now only have laundry service done by staff on the ship. They supposedly have a special one day where everything you can fit into one bag gets cleaned for $25. I am spending 4 days in Seattle as well. So, I will need clothing for both land and sea. It is great that I do not have to add dress clothes in addition to everything else.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from NCL Pearl Alaska Cruise

No Laundry! Thats not fair, we also spent extra time in Seattle before and after so I did a load of laundry while on board on the way back to Seattle. It was crowded everytime I went to use it, had to wait in line to get a machine.

If they had the $25 deal then I would have used it!

I brought a pair of Dockers for my husband and myself to wear to dinner, the rest of the time we were in blue jeans and sweat shirts.

It was late Sept so we did not bother with swimming but some people were.

We spent time on the end of the trip driving to Mt Rainier and spent the night in the park at the lodge, beautiful trip

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from NCL Pearl Alaska Cruise

Mcmomny,We also will spend spent extra time in Seattle before and after ( 3 days before and one day after) What kinds of clothing did you bring for Seattle? I am wondering if I will need short sleeve / sleeveless shirts or if I can wear long sleeve like I will in Alaska. I am wondering if I will need any dressy clothes, or if I can wear jeans in the nice restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from NCL Pearl Alaska Cruise

coberg

We were in Seattle mid Sept and Seattle was warm, about 80. We did not bring any special clothes, we stayed downtown and walked to the pier and ate at a place near the hotel

we just wore the Dockers we had brought for our dinners on board the ship

Most everyone in the downtown area were either dressed in their business causual from work or very causual in jenas and nice shirts.

we had lovely weather in Seattle on the front end, sunny, warm and no rain! But the time we spent there after the cruise it was cool and rainy.

We had planned our cruise to hike in each port and to spend a lot of time hiking in the mountains of Seattle. The best thing we did was buy some water proof hikers, so comfortable we wore them most of the time and they came in real handy as it rained all day in two of our three ports of call. The rain did not stop us! Put on our rain coats and water proof hikers and off we went!

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
oh
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from NCL Pearl Alaska Cruise

We planned for no laundry. Mostly black tops. I only took 3 pair undies and my husband 3. He got nylon boxers for the trip. We just hand washed in the sink with the hand soap and hung in shower to dry.How dirty do clothes really get unless you spill food all over you.I took a little black shrug with 3/4 sleeves. I was just enough for cool rooms, and could cover a small stainHaha. I got most of my clothes from thrift shops and got some great no wrinkle clothes.